Calderone's Return Part Two (Season One)

"I'm working on what oughta be a contemporary island classic. Sort of a cross between Mutiny on the Bounty and The Road Warrior."
Aired 10/26/84


The opening moment of this episode makes me chuckle because Tubbs teases a suspect by pouring him a glass of water, only to slap it away. Tubbs and Crockett are successful in their interrogation and the pre-credits sequence continues into an awesome montage. The duo are seen boating to the Bahamas, with clips of their war with Calderone along with a killer song playing, making for another montage that's a signature of this series.

I feel this episode is a bit slower than the previous four episodes, though it could just be the "romance" between Tubbs and his new lady friend. Philip Michael Thomas isn't the greatest actor, his female co-star is even further away from such an honor, and it makes for a cheesy day-time soap-styled romance. I might try his approach, though. At least its balanced out by Jimbo the Bartender, another car chase, and a final confrontation with Calderone. The car chase really shows off the budget that this series had, since they were able to stage a lengthy chase through narrow city streets, and it made me second guess whether I was watching a 30 year old tv episode or a full-length movie.

These episodes have all built up to a face-off with Calderone, which was almost over before it got started. I suppose I shouldn't complain; what was I expecting? A tea party with Calderone? Crockett is discovered by Calderone after a double-cross, then Tubbs shows up with his lady friend, guns are quickly drawn, and it's over. The real complaint is actually a scene just before the confrontation, when Tubbs reveals his secret to his lady. It's quite possibly one of the worst scenes I've seen on a prime-time drama, as Thomas' shouting "he killed my brother!" is matched by his co-star's cries of "NOOOOOOO!" as she covers her ears.

With the Calderone arc completed, Miami Vice could've called it a day and I'd say that's one of the finest shows ever on television. Yet that's just the beginning.

Comments

Popular Posts