Ten Essential Paul Stanley Songs


This is my fourth and final week celebrating KISS, with the songs of the "Star Child" himself, Paul Stanley. Basically just a way to talk about his awesome solo album, which is arguably the best of the four individual releases. I'm also ranking a few other KISS songs that barely missed the "original four" top ten list from a few weeks ago.

10. "Tonight You Belong To Me" (Paul Stanley)
The opening cut on Paul's solo album was instantly different from anything else that KISS had released at the time. I think he really embraced having a solo album of his own where possibly the restrictions of the KISS formula were off his back; he was free spread his wings and flex his musical muscles. Paul could have easily had a strong solo career with all of the songs he contributed to the band, as well as the material on this album, but I think he knew a being in a band was the way to go. After reading his book, it really seems to be the case- since he could be a larger than life character as part of a band.

9. "Wouldn't You Like To Know Me" (Paul Stanley)
Again, another cut from Paul's 1978 solo release. "Tonight You Belong To Me" is more of a power ballad, while this song is a straight forward rocker. Not only is the music different than his usual KISS contributions, the subject matter of the lyrics is different too. My friend Denny performs a great rendition of this song during acoustic gigs, which has made me a fan for life, whether he wanted another fan or not.

8. "Magic Touch" (Dynasty)
For those keeping score at home, this will be the fourth track I've mentioned from Dynasty, which is nearly half of the album. Along with "Sure Know Something", these two songs could have easily fit alongside his solo album material. Very un-KISS-like, but great nonetheless.


7. "Hold Me, Touch Me" (Paul Stanley)
This song is a damn good ballad and among Paul's best vocal performances. I think this was a really odd choice to release as a single to represent the album, since it's not full of ballads like this, but maybe it was also a bold choice since it shows that Paul is capable of writing much more than one style of song such as "Love Gun." As soon as I heard this album, especially this song, I fell in love with it but also that I couldn't admit to liking it. Like I'd have my man card taken away for liking such a syrupy ballad. Thanks Denny Smith- now I don't have to feel embarrassed!
 

6. "All-American Man" (Alive II)
Taken from the 4th side of the Alive II album which featured 5 new studio album cuts, this Paul Stanley-penned track is pretty damn good and is surprising that it was never on a proper studio album.

5. "Forever" (Hot In The Shade)
Co-written with Michael Bolton, this song took KISS to the Top 10 of the Billboard charts, though it ranked #8 on their chart and here it reaches #5. I think I'd arm-wrestle my future wife to get this song played at my wedding, though who's really going to say "yes" to me anyway.

4. "Take Me Away (Together As One)" (Paul Stanley
While I've said that Paul's album differs from his usual KISS efforts, this song sounded like another band entirely. It sounded a lot like the way a band like Kansas would structure their songs, from a soft acoustic intro into a bombastic section, then back again. After doing some searching online, I found out I wasn't too far off- Kansas' producer Jeff Glixman actually produced this track. Interesting!

3. "Dreamin" (Psycho Circus) 
Psycho Circus is among my least favorite albums from KISS, though this song is just too good to ignore. This song really grabbed me from the first listen and it wasn't until much later that I read it shares similarities to Alice Cooper's "I'm Eighteen." While I love Cooper and his band, I think this song packs a bigger punch musically.

 
2. "Love In Chains" (Paul Stanley)
This song actually starts off with a solo! Only two words can describe it: BAD ASS.


1. "I Will Be There" (Carnival Of Souls)
Paul's contributed quite a few ballads in the KISS katalog, many have even made this list, but "I Will Be There" is arguably his best. While it's found on an odd album that might be the sore thumb of all of KISS' releases, this song is the most personal, as it's about his son Evan.

Comments

Popular Posts