"Past Prologue"

DEEP SPACE NINE: Season One
Originally Aired January 10, 1993


A new wrinkle in the series debuts: Garak, a Cardassian, who's a former spy for the aliens that previously occupied the space station. He's portrayed by Andrew Robinson, famous for being the villain in Dirty Harry, also his role in Hellraiser, and he was in a mostly forgettable episode of The X-Files. I haven't seen enough of him to really know the character except that he's a tailor, which is a few letters shy of "traitor", and that's how many on Deep Space Nine view him.

This episode continues the trend from previous episodes, this time spot lighting Major Kira Nerys, allowing me to better know a Bajoran. That's actually got a good ring to it; maybe I need to have a weekly "Better Know A Bajoran" feature. I digress. I actually like viewing it from this perspective as I seem to be in the same spot as a member of the Federation, since I'm not as familiar with these different races of aliens so the slow introduction is a better pace for me. That is likely the intention of the writers/producers when they crafted each of these episodes, since Ferengi, Bajorans, and Cardassians aren't as widely known as Vulcans, Romulans, and Klingons in the Trek universe.

Odo again provides the comedy, as he orders a few Klingon women to hand over their weapons upon docking on DS9 or leave the station. They objected to surrendering their weapons, asking "who are you?" Odo's response: "I'm the one giving you the choice." YES! If I wasn't already sold on the series and writing weekly reviews, that would definitely have been a deciding moment for me. Welcome to DS9, indeed!


As for the actual plot of "Past Prologue", a Bajoran craft is being chased by the Cardassians, and is allowed refuge aboard the station. Kira's loyalty is called into question, much like Odo was last week, as she's viewed as a sell-out by her fellow Bajoran, Tahna Los. He's trying to sabotage the Federation efforts to aid and restore the Bajoran people and views them as just another oppressive force, like the Cardassians. This plot of the week didn't excite as much as the previous episodes, but I understand the political nature and what it's representing. The humor within "Past Prologue" is just as strong though. A friend of mine is also reviewing DS9 the same as I am, with weekly episodes, yet I'm a beginner and he's an expert on all things Trek. Maybe I should make that my angle- the humor of DS9.

Comments

Popular Posts