Ten Essential 'Latter Day' KISS Songs



I thought I'd actually plan out a lot of these lists in advance- well, not really pick the songs this far ahead of time, but I've picked the bands I want to spotlight. Heart is lined up for March because of their concert in Bloomington that month, for example. No significance for KISS being featured throughout the month of February, I just couldn't wait any longer. With the original foursome being featured last week, now it's time to talk about my favorites from the era with the Erics and Bruce Kulick.

10. "I Just Wanna" (Revenge)
It sounds an awful lot like that "Summertime Blues" song, but still rocks regardless. KISS seemed to write a lot of songs about getting girls ("C'Mon And Love Me", "I Want You", for example) but this a rare occasion where they're dumping a girl and not looking back. It's a pretty good break-up song, but the part I like the best is the a'capella section towards the end.

9. "Spit" (Revenge)
It seems like in the early years of KISS, Paul and Gene would trade off on vocals on several songs, or instances like "Nothin' To Lose" when it was Gene and Peter. That added a lot to the dynamic of the group and to me it sets them apart from their peers that they had 3 (and later 4) capable vocalists. Later on it changed to each member and his own songs, yet this seems like a callback or "throwback" to the old days with Paul and Gene sharing lead vocals.

8. "I'm A Legend Tonight" (Killers)
You could probably make a correlation between the number of KISS members that left and the amount of outside songwriters that joined the KISS camp. The band kinda lost their way with a few poppier albums but regained a bit of their rock edge with the help of outside writers; one such writer was a young Bryan Adams. He didn't write this song, but will be featured on a later song on this list.

7. "Heaven's On Fire" (Animalize)
As for something being a mega hit single, I don't think it was "mega" but it was minor hit after KISS ditched the paint and joined the 80's "hair band" scene that they probably helped create. Crazy that KISS was struggling to compete with bands that they had inspired, like Motley Crue.

6. "War Machine" (Creatures Of The Night)
One of the first KISS songs I recall hearing. An instrumental version was used as the entrance music for a pro-wrestler named Taz back in the late 90's. I remember after hearing this, I heard "Rock and Roll All Nite" and was perplexed by how the same band could write something so heavy and then something so corny. Well, that's where outside writers enter the picture, such as Bryan Adams and his contribution to this song. It's a great metal anthem and should've been a mega hit single. Oh well.

5. "I Love It Loud" (Creatures Of The Night)
I dig that thunderous drum beat. Man, this album is killer. It even features a song called "Killer", coincidentally.

4. "I Still Love You" (Creatures Of The Night)
Like I said, most KISS songs were about getting the girl, sexual innuendo, or loving them and leaving them, with the not so subtle "Love Em and Leave Em." But this songs shows a different side of the band, with a power ballad about coming to grips with a failed relationship.

3. "Domino" (Revenge)
Revenge is so damn awesome. It just came out maybe 5 years too late because by the time it was released, the music world was caught up in grunge bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. The odd thing about Revenge though, is that throughout much of the 80's, Paul claims to be the one steering the ship with hard rock and metal tunes but none of them ever clicked like this album. This sounds like KISS was finally firing on all cylinders. Gene's rougher vocals seem much more at home on these metal songs and this is the one album where I think he contributed a better assortment than those that Paul contributed. It's sure close, but Gene wins the battle on Revenge. I just wish that this line-up could've lasted longer.

2. "God Gave Rock N Roll To You II" (Revenge)
I guess the "II" in the title is because Argent made an earlier version of the song but it was ultra cheesy with lyrics like "Love your friend and love your neighbour. Love you life and love your labour." That ain't rock 'n roll!! The KISS version is much more bombastic and in your face, and Paul makes me believe that I can be a rocker too! The best part is definitely the ending, when Paul reassures me that even though life can get rough, I've been given a gift, which is ROCK AND ROLL.

1. "It's My Life" (The Box Set)
I wish this was actually on a real KISS studio album instead of buried as bonus track on a box set. This song was TOO GOOD to give up to some punk rock chick. This could've been the song that saved KISS and been their "Rock And Roll All Nite" anthem of the 1980's. Oh well. KISS ended up saving themselves with a big reunion tour and all that, but not before prancing around in neon outfits.

Comments

Popular Posts