Essential Def Leppard Songs


When I composed this list, I realized I left off a TON of catchy songs. It was really hard to find spots for "Promises", "Heaven Is", and "Tonight". I think if I were to write a list of underrated songs of Def Leppard, they'd all be taken from Adrenalize. Yet this list is the BEST, so let's get to it...

10. "On Through The Night" (High N Dry)
Though it's titled "On Through The Night", same as their 1980 debut album, it was featured on the follow-up album, High N Dry. I actually heard this song much later, when I was in high school in 1998. Steve Austin was the biggest pro-wrestler on the planet at time, and I was a huge fan, so I got a copy of a compilation titled Stone Cold Metal. It was chock full of classic rock songs from KISS, Ted Nugent, Scorpions, and also this song as well. While I didn't yet embrace KISS, I did like this song.

9. "Stage Fright" (Pyromania)
I remember when I first began working for the radio stations at their studios, the back wall of 95.5 studio was loaded with CDs. I took this home one night and listened to it, and while I was already familiar with the hit singles, this one stood out the most from the remaining songs.

8. "Armageddon It" (Hysteria)
One of the best 80's metal song cliches is the singer and his commanding of the guitar player, such as this song, "C'mon Steve!"

7. "Too Late For Love" (Pyromania)
Taken from Pyromania, I like how the verses are a bit subdued before it blasts into a hooky chorus of "Too Late". The "woah oh's" sung in unison are an excellent touch.

6. "Paper Sun" (Euphoria)
I actually discovered this song when rummaging through older CD singles at the radio station when I first was given the night shift. This sounds like a return to the sound of Pyromania after the band had produced several pop albums.

5. "Two Steps Behind" (Last Action Hero soundtrack)
It should be no surprise that I've included this song, since I love AC/DC's "Big Gun" that's also found on this soundtrack. Megadeth and Alice in Chains also contributed outstanding songs, but those are different lists for another day. This song proves the band didn't always need bombastic guitars to make good music.

 4. "Gods Of War" (Hysteria)
After working in radio for ages and hearing Def Leppard to "death", I pretty much wrote off Hysteria and swore I'd never listen to it again. Yet a friend of mine slowly got me back into the band's other songs again and I tried to listen to this album with an open mind. "Gods Of War" instantly stood out and appealed to my love for "epic" songs, with the audio clips of political figures at the end adding to that epic feeling.

3. "Foolin'" (Pyromania)
Probably the first Def Leppard song I can say I actually liked. I like the intro to the song, how it howls like the wind. It's one of my favorites for late night drives on the way home from working my night shift.

2. "Hysteria" (Hysteria)
The title track to their biggest album and I like Def Leppard for their hooks and this is one of their biggest in that regard. I certainly ain't attached to any lyrics (save one or two songs), but you can't not enjoy the rhyming ability of Joe Elliot with "mysteria" and "hysteria."

 1. "Rock Of Ages" (Pyromania)
Four words why this is the best Def Leppard song: GLUNTER. GLEIBER. GLOBBIN. GLOBIN. And then if that's not enough, four sentences, "Alright. I got somethin to say. Its better to burn out. Than fade away." It's so good, even the bad guy in Highlander quoted it.

Comments

Popular Posts