Essential Songs of The Eagles

 Growing up, I had probably heard The Eagles numerous times on the car radio but never knew nor probably cared who they were. It wasn't until after I became familiar with Don Henley that I then learned of his band The Eagles, before he ventured off into a solo career. It was kind of mind blowing to learn that he was a drummer first and foremost, much like Phil Collins. 

I don't do this too often but two honorable mention songs are "Funky New Year" and their version of Henley's "New York Minute" from Hell Freezes Over, which is one of my favorite live albums.

10. "Heartache Tonight" (The Long Run)
Back in 2011 my aunt gave me two records from her collection, which were soundtracks from the Miami Vice tv series and also the first Beverly Hills Cop movie. Both coincidentally had songs from Glenn Frey. Well, I didn't have a record player, but I really wanted to listen to them, so I dug out my parents' turntable. It surprisingly worked after being dusted off, so I also borrowed a few of their records, which included The Eagles' Greatest Hits. Long story even longer, I bought a few cheapie records for 99 cents each to try out the needle as a test before I played my parents' records. This was one of those, and I fell in love with The Long Run.

9. "Love Will Keep Us Alive" (Hell Freezes Over)
This likely breaks my own rules of trying to keep from including covers and songs from outside writers as part of my top ten lists. I feel like the artists' own work should be what is selected. Yet this is one of the earliest songs I can recall hearing from The Eagles, when my parents were watching this special on HBO. I had no idea it was a reunion show, nor the significance. I just recall a row of guys seated, that were singing and playing guitars. It was like a wall of guitarists.

8. "In The City" (The Long Run)
Another rule-breaking moment on this list, so if I'm going to break a rule, I might as well go all the way. This was originally written by Joe Walsh for the movie The Warriors, which I recently watched for the first time on Netflix. I liked the song long before seeing the movie, but finally seeing the movie made it better. No one wonder the rest of the band wanted to record it, too.


7. "Too Many Hands" (One Of These Nights)
Recently I signed up for Apple Music, which allows me to listen to EVERYTHING I-Tunes has to offer on my phone. Not just albums from every artist, there are playlist that can serve as introductions to artists, playlists with "deep cuts", and also live versions. Since I only had The Long Run, both greatest hits on LP, and Hell Freezes Over, I dove into their early albums. Many of those early albums seem inspired by Native American imagery and even sound "tribal" through Henley's percussion. This one stands out the most among them.

6. "Hotel California" (Hotel California)
While many of their songs have that Native American vibe, this famous song features more of a Latin style that the band incorporated. There's a great version on Hell Freezes Over that is even further in that style than the studio version.

5. "The Long Run" (The Long Run)
It seems like The Long Run album is latter day Eagles from this era and probably not as well received as their records from earlier in the 70's. It might be too disco/funk inspired compared to the folky sound they started with, but this is the style I prefer. I enjoy bands like that the most though, the bands that have more than one flavor to their "sound."

4. "One Of These Nights" (One Of These Nights)
This is a pretty funky tune. I like how the band harmonizes on vocals AND harmonizes with their guitars.


4. "Victim Of Love" (Hotel California)
Hotel California featured the band with a beefed up and bombastic sound courtesy of three guitar players- Joe Walsh joined guitarist Don Felder and founder Glenn Frey. The guitar solo is awesome and so are the backing vocals. 


2. "Those Shoes" (The Long Run)
One of my favorite wrestler entrances themes is that of Razor Ramon's so it was interesting to discover that it sounds like a rip-off of this song by The Eagles. I would say that it is the moment that led to be listen more closely to the band, as I bought The Long Run after learning that's where the song was featured as a studio track. I later acquired the album on vinyl as one of those 99 cent deals.


1. "Life In The Fast Lane" (Hotel California)
This is one of the finest 'classic' songs I've ever heard. It's also The Eagles at their peak from their Hotel California album, which was the first recorded with Joe Walsh as a band member. After listening to plenty of Eagles music recently, I get a better sense of his contribution to the band, and also this song. It's got a funkier groove to it compared to the earlier Eagles songs that are purely country-folk-rock. Joe Walsh certainly beefed up the sound of the band and I dig it. In fact, I should probably listen to more Joe Walsh... and Don Henley, too.

Comments

Popular Posts