Essential Megadeth Songs

Megadeth is the only band whose fan club I've been a member of- just once, back in 2009. I don't know what it was in 2009, something just clicked with me, like a cartoony lightbulb turning on above my noggin. While I already liked several songs, I wouldn't have called myself a "fan" at the time. I think it was a generally apathy toward much of the current mainstream music, so I went backwards and began listening to a lot of older metal- Dio, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, and Megadeth. I signed up for the fan club on the chance of getting first-crack at concert tickets and ended up meeting the band, as well.

10. "I'll Be There" (Risk)
I'm sure many will be scratching their heads at the inclusion of anything from the Risk album. I dig it and I don't care. It's different from anything else in their catalog and I'm sure it's one people would like to forget (including Dave himself) but it has plenty of good tunes. I'm all for a band branching out, with "I'll Be There" standing out as a great ballad. "Promises" from the follow-up album The World Needs A Hero is almost equal- both could've been "mega" ballads if they weren't recorded by a metal band.
 

9. "A Tout Le Monde" (United Abominations)
I came across this song back in 2004/2005 when Megadeth released a greatest hits titled Back To The Start. The album version was taken from Youthanasia, my favorite among the band's catalog, yet I've chosen the re-recorded version from 2007's United Abominations featuring Cristina Scabbia. Many have said they don't like Dave's voice, and while I think it's perfect for the band's sound, I think the female vocals are much more capable of sustaining the notes as they were intended. It's not that Dave is "bad", just limited. Plus, picking up the pace kicks it up a notch for me over the original.




8. "Tears In A Vial" (The System Has Failed)
This is viewed as Megadeth's comeback album in 2004, with The System Has Failed being the album that returned Megadeth to it's metal roots after becoming a hard rock band throughout the 90's. 2004 also acts as the time when I was first getting into the band, after hearing the lead single "Die Dead Enough", and a handful of older tunes that were in the radio station's music library. I bought the album and it didn't do much for me at the time; it wasn't until 2009 when the album truly sunk it. Possibly because I had went through a rough break-up months earlier, and while I was over it at the time, this song perfectly summed up my feelings that were running through my head. I even rebought the album, which isn't the first time I've done something like that. "The Scorpion" and "Of Mice And Men" are other stand-out tracks and if I were to ever do a proper list, this would rank among my Top 3 Megadeth albums.



7. "Peace Sells" (Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?)
Awesome bass riff, plus I like Dave's rhetoric in the lyrics. "What do you mean, 'I can't get to work on time?' I got nothing better to do" for example.


6. "99 Ways To Die" (Beavis & Butt-Head Experience)

I feel like this song has all but been deleted from their catalog, unless you have the original Beavis & Butt-Head Experience CD. The song hasn't been included on any hits packages nor was it on their box set that included an expansive collection of their b-sides, covers, and soundtrack material. Maybe it's a legal issue between labels.

5. "Elysian Fields" (Youthanasia)
I can't remember how it came up in conversation but I recall my buddy Kurt recommending this album, and song in particular. I looked up the song and was instantly hooked, especially during the too-brief solo section that features harmonica and cow bell; pretty snazzy for a metal band. This song kick-started my interest in Megadeth and I sought out the full album right away.


4. "Sweating Bullets" (Countdown To Extinction)
Back in 2009 around the time when I dove into Megadeth's catalog, I recall texting my uncle about music, and his reply was that this song is the soundtrack to the cartoons in his head. Now it's often in my head, too.

3. "Hangar 18" (Rust In Peace)
This song is almost like an instrumental track- it's light on verses but heavy on the solos.

2. "Angry Again" (Last Action Hero soundtrack)
I believe I came across this one at the radio stations during a late night shift- it was never in rotation on the radio, but I pulled it up several times to listen in the Production Studio. I immediately sought out the Last Action Hero soundtrack, which had other tracks from Alice In Chains, AC/DC, and Def Leppard that rank among by top songs of those bands, too.



1. "Trust" (Cryptic Writings)
This was instantly my favorite Megadeth song upon hearing it and it hasn't changed. The intro did it right away with those drums, plus the fact that I heard it repeatedly every time I watched ECW. I think they used the song underneath their tour date/merchandise advertisements.

Comments

  1. Great list; you pretty much hit on my favorites, even "99 Ways to Die!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 99 WAYS TO DIIIIEEEE, heh heh. YES! That ruled! (Butt-Head's expert commentary.) haha

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts