Essential Shinedown Songs

I first came across this band in 2003, right around the time they 'broke out' and had songs in constant rotation on local station 99X. I would often stop into Co-Op to say hi to my friend Luke and even if I didn't buy anything, I'd usually end up leaving with a few promo CDs. One such time I was given a two-song promo CD by a band called Shinedown. Later I scored a free copy of their album from the radio station, and something sounded different about them from the start. Their peers on rock radio would have so many sad songs while the music on Shinedown seemed more 'positive'; I guess that's why they continue to stick with me.

10. "Devour" (Sound Of Madness)
Shinedown's third album in 2008 was a huge success, so much that it launched 5 successful singles. During my time in the rock radio world, I can't recall very many albums accomplishing that feat. What instantly comes to mind are Linkin Park's Meteora in 2003 and Foo Fighter's Wasting Light in 2011. "Devour" is explosive and makes sense it would be the album's first single, it was the perfect hard rock song. Although over time I've begun to prefer the acoustic version more; I like the interplay between the piano and drums.

 
9. "Fly From The Inside" (Leave A Whisper)
The first Shinedown song I heard, back in 2003 on that CD sampler, which also included "No More Love." Over time the band has dropped many songs on this album from their live sets as well as their second album, and I can see why, since they somehow begun a shift between the second third albums. The only remaining members are the singer Brent Smith and drummer Barry Kerch; and stylistically, these two early albums sound closer to bands like Staind and that 'nu metal' sound of the early 2000's. I can't say I listen to this album much, besides revisiting it to compile this list, but I'll still rank it since "Fly From The Inside" served as my introduction. 

8. "Dangerous" (Threat To Survival)
With Shinedown's fourth album, it seemed to me like they got hung up on too many ballads following the success of The Sound Of Madness and it's many crossover hits. Threat To Survival didn't grab me right away with either of it's singles, though it does seem more focused on creating a "groove." This one has an infectious groove that's crawled into my head like one of those worms in Wrath Of Khan. I've found myself listening to this one on repeat many times this week.


7. "I Dare You" (Us And Them)
I just really like the lyrics in this song. Nuff said.

6. "Breaking Inside" (iTunes Session/Sound Of Madness)
While I've been listening to this band since 2003, I wouldn't say I became a huge fan until 2013. I caught the band live for the first time when they headlined the radio station's Spring Fling concert the year prior, so I revisited their albums, even buying the deluxe version of one to get bonus tracks as well as an iTunes only album for even more songs. I paid for a concert in 2013 and an additional VIP option, so I was on a Shinedown craze that year. While I met the band before the show, seeing them that second time was a little lacking; I enjoyed the opening band Bush much more. Their recent album feels even more lacking.... While I feel like less of a fan of the band, it does take me back to a good time in 2013. I guess this is a roundabout way of stating that music seems to be much more than just 'music' but there's a connection, with certain songs instantly taking you back to a time and place.


5. "Save Me" (Us And Them)
I used to laugh about this song since the lyrics start with being in a hallway with no doors and no rooms. Didn't make a whole lot of sense but it's grown on me. I still have no idea what that means though...
 
4. "Diamond Eyes" (Sound Of Madness Deluxe Edition)When I heard this song on the radio I knew it was Shinedown, yet I had no clue where it came from. I already had the recent album Sound Of Madness, and I later discovered it was part of a re-issue and the song was taken from the Expendables sequel. It definitely fits a movie like that, which is full of action movie stars, bullets, and explosions galore.


3. "Call Me" (Sound Of Madness)
I like the haunting piano on this one, combined with Brent's vocals and the orchestral arrangement, it's got a slick sound that hooked me from the start.



2. "Shed Some Light" (Us And Them)
I recall being rather unimpressed with the second album upon it's release in 2005. I bought it, then quickly traded it back in at the record store. It wasn't until I saw them in concert in 2012 that I revisited this album; with this song standing out especially. Not only is it because the song is mostly acoustic, but the lyrics drew me in as well.



1. "Second Chance" (Sound Of Madness)
I knew this song was a hit from it's constant airplay here in Peoria but I didn't realize until compiling this list that it was a Billboard Hot 100 song, cracking the top ten, and peaking at #7. That's a pretty big feat for a rock band in this day and age of the "pop star" with numerous producers. I don't like it because it's a hit, but because it sounds like an honest and heartfelt ballad.

Comments

Popular Posts