Essential Solo Slash Songs

I've seen Slash perform live twice and loved both times. I'm getting ready to see him again, along with my BFF Myles (though he doesn't know it), and thought it was a good time as any to rank several songs from his illustrious career following his departure from Guns N Roses.

10. "Back From Cali" (Slash- Slash)
 I didn't care much for this song when I first heard the album, in fact, I liked the album with Myles singing every song more than his two songs on this album. One of my friends is the opposite and prefers this album. My opinion on "Back From Cali" changed upon hearing Myles sing it live back in 2013.

9. "Beautiful Dangerous" (Slash- Slash)
This is far from the best song on Slash's first solo album that rotated vocalists for each song, although this was the reason why I bought the album. It's one of those songs that is enjoyable for a nostalgic reason as it reminds me of working on third shift at a printing company and all of the music we'd listen to late at night. This was one of our "go to" songs.

8. "Withered Delilah" (Slash Feat. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators- World On Fire)
The Conspirator's drummer is former Union member Brent Fitz. I think he shines on this track from their second album, World On Fire. MORE COWBELL! 

7. "Carolina" (Slash Feat. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators- Apocalyptic Love)
This was a bonus track on the album that I had to download from iTunes, along with another track, "Crazy Life." I think this one should have been included on the actual album because it's use of a "talk box" distinguishes it from the rest of the album.

 6.  "Serial Killer" (Slash's Snake Pit- Ain't Life Grand)
 I really wasn't sold on this guy, Rod Jackson, as a singer for Slash.  I like Myles, Scott Weiland, and of course Axl Rose, but something just sounded different about this guy. Then something 'clicked' while revisiting it during these past few days of listening to Slash albums. He reminds me a lot of John Corabi, and I even thought Corabi would've been a good replacement singer for Velvet Revolver after first hearing of Corabi. I guess this is the next best thing. This album even has a song titled "Shine", just like Union.

5. "Just Like Anything" (Slash's Snake Pit- Ain't Life Grand)
And here's another Rod Jackson song; this song's intro has some funky percussion. This song oozes funky, with it's stomping percussion and back-up singers, too. Interesting to note that Ryan Roxie, former member of Alice Cooper's band, played on this album, only to have Keri Kelli replace him on the tour. Keri also replaced him in Alice's band, only to later be replaced by Roxie. It's like a revolving door between those two.

4. "Bad Rain" (Slash Feat. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators- Apocalyptic Love)
Much like the last song is funky song, so is this one from the first album with Slash & Myles. When I saw them perform in 2013 I was hoping they'd do this one, though it wasn't a single, but they did anyway.

3. "Slither" (Velvet Revolver- Contraband)
I love Velvet Revolver's first album and I had to trim plenty from this album when compiling this list. "Set Me Free", "Sucker Train Blues", and "Dirty Little Thing" were on my short list. But I went with the one that Slash and his current band still perform live.

2. "Mean Bone" (Slash's Snake Pit- Ain't Life Grand)
I first heard this song on a live Slash CD which featured Myles singing the GNR songs as well as solo Slash. This song was among the many sung by Myles and I loved it, which led to me listening to the original. Now I actually prefer the original, if only for it's introduction that reminds me of "Baby Got Back."


1. "Promise" (Slash- Slash)
Slash had a vocalist for every song on this album, from artists like Kid Rock and Ozzy Osbourne, with Myles Kennedy actually singing two. This one is my favorite and it features Chris Cornell on vocals. Myles also performed it on Slash's live CD, but I think they sped it up when doing it live, and I prefer the sound of the studio recording.

Comments

Popular Posts