Essential Lynch Mob Songs

Upon leaving Dokken at the end of the 1980's, George Lynch kicked off the 1990's with his brand new band, Lynch Mob. They've reformed numerous times, with a new line-up rotating for nearly every studio album released over the following 25 years.  Lynch remains the constant member, with Oni Logan being present as his long-time vocalist for a majority of that time.

10. "Play The Game" (Sun Red Sun)
While I've listened to the first two Lynch Mob albums quite a bit over the past few years, I only recently listened to Sun Red Sun, which served as the catalyst for choosing them as my band for this week's list. "Play The Game" is much more mellow than Lynch Mob is known for, but it has a mystical vibe to it, almost tribal-like. That's the best I can describe it. I like the lyrics too, like "I take the colors of the rainbow and turn them all to black, 'cause that's what I do with my time."


9. "Tangled In The Web" (Lynch Mob)
I liked a few songs from Dokken over the years, despite the band not being deemed 'cool.' I didn't actually go beyond that handful of tunes until I began hanging out with a fellow named Mark back in 2012. He loved everything 80's hard rock, including Dokken, so it rubbed off on me as well. I looked up George Lynch's work post-Dokken, and I like this almost as much as Dokken if not more. Yet I can't say the same for Mark. He didn't seem too impressed, unlike I was, and said "it sounds like Dokken." I would say this song in particular sounds different because I can't recall a time when any Dokken song featured a horn section. In addition to the horns, I dig the percussion too, which sounds like maracas used throughout the song.


8. "Smoke and Mirrors" (Smoke And Mirrors)The title track is a pretty cool acoustic-based song. Also unlike Dokken's sound, save for their live acoustic album they released in 1995. This album also served as Oni's return to the band after only being featured on the 1990 debut album, replacing his own replacement singer Robert Mason.


7. "Slow Drag" (Sound Mountain Sessions EP)
This song would serve as my introduction to Lynch Mob. I downloaded it from iTunes after looking up Lynch Mob, following Lynch and Mick Brown's appearance on 'That Metal Show' with former partner-in-crime in Dokken, Jeff Pilson.

6. "No Bed Of Roses" (Wicked Sensation)
Taken from the debut album, Wicked Sensation, this is one song that stood out to me from the first time I listened to it. I feel like this could have been a mega hit single had Lynch Mob hit a few years sooner. To me, their sound seems a bit more commercially viable than the hard-rocking, pounding riffing of Dokken, who also didn't seem to have as many sexually-charged lyrics either. In regards to the lyrics, Lynch Mob seems a bit closer to their peers. Lynch Mob just hit too late in the glam rock game.


5. "Heaven Is Waiting" (Lynch Mob)
I could be wrong but I feel like the debut album might have the more 'classic' Lynch Mob songs, yet the follow-up has much more depth in style. "Heaven Is Waiting" is power ballad, kind of reminding me of songs like "Tears Are Falling" from KISS.

4. "Dream Until Tomorrow" (Lynch Mob)Just like "Heaven Is Waiting", this is a ballad, complete with a cheesy keyboard effect.


3. "Believers Of The Day" (Sun Red Sun)
During my numerous trips to Shandi's over the past year, I'd looked at this CD on the shelf among the new releases, though I passed over it every time. On my next trip, I won't! It'll be the first CD that I grab and I can't get back to Shandi's fast enough. I heard this song live when they opened for Heart and it hooked me right away. I looked up the rest online later, though I haven't played the rest of the album nearly enough since I keep playing this song repeatedly. It has that 'classic' Lynch Mob sound, with some cool lyrics to boot.


2. "Wicked Sensation" (Wicked Sensation)
While my friend Mark was a Dokken super fan, I hadn't ever heard him or anyone else mention Lynch Mob. That is until I saw a cover band perform a Lynch Mob cover. Going from never hearing any mention of this band, to hearing a cover, was somewhat mind-blowing. I'd never even watched this video until now either, and it seems like the type of thing Alice In Chains would do the following year. Interesting.


1. "River Of Love" (Wicked Sensation)
My favorite Lynch Mob song and the one song I was hoping they would play in concert when I was finally able to see the band. They delivered! I'm not really certain exactly why I like it so much, I just do. "River Of Love" is a catchy rocker, with a touch of the blues thrown in. "I'm goin down, down, down!"
 

Comments

Popular Posts