Essential Brother Cane Songs


Growing up and listening to the radio and the few CDs I had, I only had access to two Brother Cane songs, but I liked them. I suppose when it came time to actually purchase my own music, I was more distracted by Metallica's discs and stuff like Rage Against the Machine, which was hot the the time in my teen years. Later, through the magic of YouTube and and a bigger paycheck, I was able to enjoy a greater variety of music and realized I enjoy more than just those two Brother Cane songs.
10. "Machete" (Wishpool)
After digging into Alice Cooper's discography and discovering his current guitarist (at the time) was Damon Johnson is what led me back to Brother Cane, a band I hadn't really given much thought to since I graduated high school. I suppose when a band breaks up, they're unfortunately 'out of sight, out of mind", especially when they aren't given much radio time to begin with. I have to say that out of their 3 studio albums, Wishpool is my favorite. They seemed to progress their style with each album, with this one taking a "post-grunge" sound, and "Machete" is almost like a song you could find on a Stone Temple Pilots album.

9. "Stone's Throw Away" (Brother Cane)The first Brother Cane album was released in 1993 and reminds me a lot of the albums from Badlands and Cry of Love. Though hair metal was dying and grunge was taking over, I think I almost appreciate these 'hidden gems' from the bluesy-hard rock bands a little more; it's a genre that never really stood a chance.


8.  "Lead My Follow" (Wishpool)
A song from their last album that sounds like it could be at home on their debut album. It's a little bluesy yet also reminds me of Alice In Chains' Jar Of Flies, which is not a bad thing.

7. "Woman" (Brother Cane)
This is one of those 'epic' songs I've mentioned before in other lists. I dig how they'll usually start as one song, like a ballad, then they kick into high gear later.

6. "The Crow Flies" (Wishpool)I helped my good friend Todd move out of his apartment a few summers ago and snagged a few CD's from his collection, possibly as a 'thank you' for risking my life by hauling boxes down a rickety flight of stairs as the hot July sun was beating down on me. I swear that sun was at high noon... he picked the best time to move. Haha. But at least I discovered this excellent album, finally.

5. "Mirror Ball" (Wishpool)I must've overlooked this song, because as I was gearing up for Damon's solo show this past August, I had the three Brother Cane albums on shuffle. This song popped on while I was at work and had to stop what I was doing and see exactly which song this what, and from which album. I'm glad he played it live at the acoustic show days later.

4. "Got No Shame" (Brother Cane)
I had no idea who this band was the times I'd hear it on MAX FM, and when I learned it was Brother Cane, I had no idea there was an album before Seeds. It blew my mind. Not really... but you'd be hard pressed to find a more rockin' harmonica solo than on "Got No Shame."


3. "How Long" (Brother Cane)
Not much to say except cool guitar solo!


2. "I Lie In The Bed I Make" (Wishpool)
This is the only song from the band I can recall hearing on the radio in my youth, that is until "Got No Shame" was all over Max FM when that station was around.

1. "And Fools Shine On" (Seeds)
I discovered this song through a horror movie- Halloween 6, when it played over the closing credits. Much the same way I discovered Alice Cooper's "The Man Behind the Mask", also at the end of a sixth installment of a horror series- Friday the 13th: Jason Lives. Not only is this the first Brother Cane song I heard, it also remains my favorite, and I feel it's their best one.

Comments

Popular Posts