21 Jump Street (2012)

21 Jump Street
Directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller




Credit: MGM
Remakes and reboots usually get an instant groan from me, this especially since I have never been a fan of Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill. Perhaps the comedic stars were in perfect alignment because I think this is a home-run of a movie. 21 Jump Street has a great blend of acting, action, and comedy.

I don’t like to spoil moments of movies in my reviews but I want to say that the best part is when the main characters played by Tatum (“Jenko”) and Hill (“Schmidt”) are undercover in high school and forced to use the drug they are trying to investigate. The effects kick in when they are caught after their hall passes have expired and they start hallucinating that the P.E. teacher’s head is an ice cream cone, this is after his eyebrows crawl down his face and then form into a mustache.

The last portion of the movie seems to go off the rails, as most movies these days need to have the wackiest conclusion possible. I think it’s the Golden Rule of Hollywood. Yet the ending does wrap a nice bow onto things. I did enjoy how 21 Jump Street actually has characters that you care about; connecting with characters is a rare occurrence in comedies. For the sake of a comparison, I’ll use Hall Pass. In both movies the main characters are given an opportunity to “go back” and redo something from their past- being a single man or reliving high school. In Hall Pass, it didn’t really call for much acting or emoting, just reacting to a series of gags. However 21 Jump Street actually has characters that grow and evolve by the time the credits roll.

Comments

Popular Posts