Essential Rob Zombie Songs

Rob Zombie's sound and even his look has evolved over the years, especially now since he looks like a "heavy metal" version of Macho Man Randy Savage. I dig it! Zombie has become more than a singer, now he's a full-fledged entertainer, as he's written and directed numerous horror films over the years. I've been a fan since I was in high school, which was after his time in White Zombie, so this list is focusing on that era of his work.

10. "Girl On Fire (Renholder Mix)" (Resident Evil Apocalypse Soundtrack)
The actual studio album version can be found on Zombie's 2003 greatest hits compilation, but I wasn't a fan of it. It was too over-produced, much like his "Brickhouse" cover. However this remix was released a year later on the Resident Evil sequel's soundtrack and it rocks! It stripped away the turntable sounding effects, instead giving it an overhaul so it was no longer a 'danceable' song. The remix is even 2 minutes longer, with more of an emphasis on guitar and bass, even adding some extra percussion, too. It sounds like the drummer is going crazy with a triangle at the end!


9. "What?" (Hellbilly Deluxe 2)
Honestly, I was growing tired of Rob Zombie around 2007/2008. I wasn't really a fan of his movies, especially remaking Halloween. His music seemed to rely too much on production effects than actual guitars for my liking. Then came his 4th solo album, 2010's Hellbilly Deluxe 2. I was instantly sold and even saw Rob Zombie live for the first time on the tour supporting this album. I can only describe Hellbilly 2 as "spooky surf metal" and I love it. This song is a prime example of that crazy concoction of rock 'n roll and a wild, monster-filled beach party.


8. "The Devil's Rejects" (Educated Horses)
I wasn't a fan of this album upon it's initial release. I listened to it a little and probably traded it back in to the record store within a few months. BIG MISTAKE. I bought it again about two years back, in an effort to give it a second chance, and found I really enjoy it. It could possibly be the best album Rob Zombie has ever done, as it blends all of his styles. There's "Foxy, Foxy", which recalls the previous album The Sinster Urge; "American Witch" sounds like it would fit among the tracks on 1998's Hellbilly Deluxe; and also "Let It All Bleed Out" recalls his White Zombie days. Songs like "The Devil's Rejects", along with "Death Of It All", are entirely new territory for Rob Zombie. They are the fruit of his relationship with guitarist and song-writing partner John 5, who joined the band prior to making this album.

7. "Living Dead Girl" (Hellbilly Deluxe)
A Rob Zombie staple since 1998, which seems like a call-back to Alice Cooper's love for the dead, too.

6. "Burn" (Hellbilly Deluxe 2)
Also taken from Hellbilly 2, although it's one that didn't grab me at first. I think the "poppa ooh mow" lyric really turned me away and I didn't even notice the awesome guitar from John 5.
 
5. "The Scorpion Sleeps" (Educated Horses)
Another favorite of mine from Educated Horses. It's got a stomping groove that feels like 1970's glam rock from the likes of T. Rex and Sweet. I suppose that's why I didn't like this album at the time in 2006, yet only appreciated it after gaining a new love for classic rock a few years later.


4. "Werewolf Women Of The S.S." (Hellbilly Deluxe 2
A song which is based on Rob Zombie's mock trailer for the movie Grindhouse, and is another shining example of the "spooky surf metal" I love on Hellbilly 2. I was really excited when the band performed this live during their tour stop in Bloomington in 2010, complete with a costume change.


3. "Feel So Numb" (Sinister Urge)
When I heard this song in 2001, I believe it was the lead-off single for Zombie's second album. I *had* to get it and it is the first album I can recall buying on the day it went on sale!


2. "Two-Lane Blacktop" (Past, Present, & Future)
No extra special reason for liking it other than it was a cool extra track featured on his Greatest Hits set that combined White Zombie material with Rob Zombie. Although this song does make me want to drive really fast while clapping along; black top rolling!!


1. "Dragula" (Hellbilly Deluxe)
I still recall hearing this for the first time back when I was in high school, and seeing it's music video on MTV....[in old man voice] when they still played music videos. It was cool to this impressionable teenager because Rob Zombie was combining horror movies and heavy metal in a way I had never heard or even see. It was visual and it was visceral. It's also odd when even your mom likes Rob Zombie.

Comments

Popular Posts