Essential Weezer Songs

Whenever I think of music of the 1990's, I always overlook Weezer. It's true. They somehow fall between the cracks of the 'Seattle grunge sound', the decade-ending mesh of rap and rock as 'nu metal', hard rock giants like Metallica and Megadeth, and also the alternative bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Garbage. In fact, I believe I wasn't even familiar with who Weezer even was until the Green album!

10. "Burndt Jamb" (Maladroit)
This song sounds unlike anything I've ever heard from Weezer. It's almost jazzy natured, before blazing into a rock song, and back again...with the transitions never feeling out of place. I could put this song on repeat and drift away.

9. "I've Had It Up To Here" (Everything Will Be Alright In The End)
I didn't like this album's lead single, "Back To The Shack", but I figured I'd take a free album download that I was offered through the station and I'm glad I did. The album more than makes up for the previous releases from the band that tried their hand at rap songs and bringing aboard outside writers/producers. This was back to guitar-driven songs and Ric Ocasek in the studio with them once again. I like the pop-power and falsetto singing, all trademarks of Weezer.


8. "Dope Nose" (Maladroit)
I love Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" and this reminds me a lot that song. Mostly because it lacks an actual chorus except for repeated"Oh! OH! OH! OH!"'s. 

7. "My Name Is Jonas" (The Blue Album)
"THE WORKERS ARE GOING HOME!" often runs through my head. I love how the song builds up towards that moment, complete with harmonica in the solo.




6. "Perfect Situation" (Make Believe)
I had forgotten all about this album. For a project at work when I was updating the station's music library for remotes, I realized I lacked music from Nirvana and Weezer. My friend Nick came to the rescue, giving me every Weezer album up to now. Rediscovering Make Believe was a treat because I feel it's every bit as strong as their fan-favorite, Blue Album. I was so sick to death of "Beverly Hills" that I forgot this was even a single, too, and it's a mighty fine one.

5. "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To" (Raditude)
I recall REALLY liking some of these late 2000's singles from Weezer- "Troublemaker", "Pork and Beans", and this song, "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To". However listening the actual albums was not as enjoyable of an experience as I was led to believe. Now that I'm more familiar with Butch Walker, it's cool that he was involved in this song, too.

4. "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here" (The Blue Album)
No clue if this was ever a single but it should have been. I'm BEYOND tired of hearing "Buddy Holly" and "The Sweater Song" being over-played to death from this album. But it's probably for the best that this wasn't a single or I'd likely hate it too.


3. "We Are All On Drugs" (Make Believe)
Such a catchy song that sums up Weezer at their best- a sing-along chorus, tongue-in-cheek lyrics, and rocking guitars.

2. "Buddy Holly" (The Blue Album)
Likely their most popular song, and many would rank it as number one, it falls just shy for me. Although the music video is definitely one of the best things ever created.
 

1. "The Good Life" (Pinkerton)
I had only been familiar with the Blue and Green albums when I came across this in the used music section. Pinkerton feels like they tried way too hard to distance themselves from the success of the Blue Album. A few songs are worth listening to, with this being not just the stand out track of the album, but the best of their career. It has the pop sensibilities of the Blue album, mixed with a crunchy bassline, and shifting tempos.

Comments

Popular Posts