Essential Dream Theater Songs

Dream Theater came into my life in 2003, and while they are now among my favorite bands, it wasn't an overnight development. I was on the fence about them until 2006, when I was given a live DVD as a Christmas gift. Watching that live video blew my mind. I liked how they would alter their songs for live performances, many would have extended instrumentals, and they were constantly mixing up their set lists. 

10. "The Ministry Of Lost Souls" (Systematic Chaos)
A perfect example of Dream Theater's tendencies to write "epic" songs for each album. They seem to get a little too carried away around this era of the band, with multiple songs pushing 20 minutes on each album. "The Ministry Of Lost Souls" stands out because it sounds like music that would've been featured in the musical score to a film like Harry Potter or The Lord Of The Rings.

9. "Solitary Shell" (Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence)
This album is divided into two discs, with one disc featuring the 60 minute title track. I thought it was far too goofy upon first listen- it sounded a little too much like Styx for my liking. I recall revisiting this song on their 20th anniversary live DVD in 2006 and I was able to watch the entire song for the duration of a flight. I guess time and perspective can change things, especially musical taste.


8. "Raise The Knife" (Falling Into Infinity demo)
I used to be mixed on this album when I first heard it, later learning the band wasn't happy with it, so I must've assumed that meant it's not good. I came across a website for the band's officially released bootlegs, which was ran by drummer (and I assume band leader) Mike Portnoy. I snatched up a copy of this two-disc demo set and it is really is a strong album. Most of what ended up on the official album is here with a few tweaks to certain songs (like "Take Away My Pain"), but there are several songs that never had proper studio versions. "Raise The Knife" hit me at just the right time in 2008 because I was dealing with feelings from my first relationship ending. While it was written by the band to reflect their feelings on the music industry, it also seemed like it could be taken as a way of severing ties in a break-up with a significant other, too.


7. "In The Presence Of Enemies Part 1" (Systematic Chaos)
This is one I can definitely say was my first 'favorite' Dream Theater song, so much that at the time it was released, I used the opening of the song as my ring tone for several years. 

6. "Wither" (Black Clouds & Silver Linings)
 With 2007's Systematic Chaos being such an outstanding album, saying I was pumped for 2009's Black Clouds & Silver Linings would be an understatement. I even pre-ordered a deluxe box set which included the CD, a second CD with cover songs, and the album on vinyl...before I even owned a record player! I've cooled on the album a lot since then, and even being condensed to 6 songs, many just seem overdone. This is really the only song I can say I truly enjoy and would listen to again in a heartbeat.


5. "Lines In The Sand" (Falling Into Infinity)
I can't say this album stood out much at first, which is odd because it's now my favorite Dream Theater release. I gave it a second look after my new friend Brent liked what he said was "the tropical sounding song." I feel like when I got into the band initially in 2003, I was more interested in them being a "metal" band, so anything else took time to grow on me. Now I'd say this is their best because it has the right balance between those "heavy" songs and lighter fare like "Take Away My Pain" and "Hollow Years."


4. "New Millennium" (Falling Into Infinity)
Bad ass Dream Theater riffage! It's probably the perfect "weedly deedly" song as my friend Denny describes the band's sound. This song doesn't over-stay it's welcome, it rocks, it has the keyboards, and funky bass from John Myung, which I came to learn is done on a Chapman Stick.


3. "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" (Awake
The Awake album is one that I liked from the start but only continues to improve over time. I came across a live version of this on a video the band released called Five Years In A LIVEtime, but other songs from this album have translated well to live performances. I'm glad that my first time seeing the band was a concert where they celebrated it's 20th anniversary by performing the second (and BEST) half of Awake.


2. "Metropolis" (Images & Words)
I would just like to state that while my friend Bill introduced me to this band and copied several CDs for me onto the typical CD-R discs, I eventually upgrade them to the actual CD released by the band. With exception to one, that being Images & Words, because he scribbled the track listings onto a Kool-Aid notepad sheet of paper.

1. "Hollow Years" (Falling Into Infinity)
I once told my friend Bill that while I like a lot of metal bands, I seem to prefer their softer material. His reply via text message was that "I have a hard rock exterior with an easy-listening core." It's true. Much like "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream", I became an even bigger fan of this song through a live version. The band took a 6 minute song and expanded it to 9 minutes, with an extended introduction and a guitar solo.

Comments

Popular Posts