Essential Sammy Hagar Songs

As I stated in my list of "Van Hagar" tunes, I started out as a fan of this version of the band, but now I've morphed into preferring the version fronted by David Lee Roth. Listening to solo Sammy came much later, mostly on local radio station Rock 106.
 
10. "Trans Am" (Street Machine)
Has a chugging sound to the song, which reminds me a lot of his tenure in Montrose. Honestly, this list of essential Sammy songs was hard to put together since I bore easily with his solo material. I think he's better suited for a band enviroment, whether it's with Eddie Van Halen or Ronnie Montrose. I love his work with them, but not so much the solo stuff. I still haven't listened to Chickenfoot, so I'll have to put my theory to the test with that band.

9. "I Can't Drive 55" (VOA)
This song is about getting pulled over for exceeding the speed limit, though listening to this song doesn't have that effect on me. I'm most likely to continue at my leisurely speed of 35. I did get my first speeding ticket while listening to 30 Seconds to Mars in the summer of 2005, so maybe my musical taste should be up for debate more than this Sammy Hagar song. A song that really does make me want to speed is "Fire Woman" by The Cult. Maybe that'll be a future speeding ticket song.


8. "High Hopes" (Unboxed)
This was a surprisingly good discovery on the Essential Red Collection, though it was first released on an earlier Sammy hits CD. I dig the percussion on this one! 

7. "Heavy Metal" (Standing Hampton)
Sammy's contribution to the animated classic Heavy Metal movie soundtrack, later included on his solo album, Standing Hampton. While it's a pretty cool song, I don't really think of it as being that "heavy."


6. "Eagles Fly" (I Never Said Goodbye)
With both Sammy and Van Halen announcing tours for the summer, and after deciding to see both of them, I thought I'd feature them in as many of these "essential" lists as I could; only one I don't have much from is solo Roth. I digress. I wanted to take in more Sammy before forming my list, so I purchased the "Red Collection" which is a greatest hits album. After glancing over the track listing, my eyes lit up, I had totally forgotten about this song. The memory must've died out when Rock 106 switched formats.

 
5. "Red" (Sammy Hagar)
Sammy's nickname of the "Red Rocker" is taken from this song, and much like "Trans AM", it sounds so much like Montrose, right down to the spacey percussion. I really need to do a Montrose list instead.

On a side note, if Sammy were bald, I think he'd look like Mel Brooks.

4. "Three Lock Box" (Three Lock Box)
Kind of shocked this wasn't included on that Essential Red Collection, though I shouldn't be surprised when a "greatest hits" disc leaves off a song or two. That means they're guaranteeing another purchase out of you to complete the hits. Collective Soul did the same, leaving "Where The River Flows" off their supposed Greatest Hits CD.


3. "I'll Fall In Love Again" (Standing Hampton)
Another song from Standing Hampton, though it was later included on the Vision Quest soundtrack. I'm more familiar with it from the latter album, which also included songs from Madonna, Dio, Don Henley, John Waite, even Journey! Pretty cool album that's a cross-section of the 1980's, with something from each genre, be it pop, metal, and rock. 


2. "There's Only One Way To Rock" (Standing Hampton)
A high energy song from Sammy and while I previously stated that I bore of his solo material, this is one that always sounds good every time. It would've been number 1 on the list, if not for one that wins out for sentimental reasons.

1. "Mas Tequila" (Red Voodoo)
While this might not be his best song, I like it the most because it reminds me of Rock 106. There are a few songs that I felt were synonymous with that station, the other being Sam Kinnison's "Wild Thing" that was always played at 5 PM on Fridays.

Comments

Popular Posts