Essential Van Halen Songs (w/David Lee Roth)

2012 was a turning point for my concert going-ways. In late 2011, both Van Halen and Black Sabbath had announced new albums and tours to follow, and at the time I didn't realize I would end up seeing both bands on those tours. In fact, I had initially turned down buying a pricey Van Halen ticket, but once I ended up forking over several hundred in car repairs, I figured what's another couple of hundreds to see one of the all-time great rock bands? That line of thinking is actually what led me to paying over $100 to see Fleetwood Mac the following year, and also tours with Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper, Motley Crue/KISS, Alice Cooper/Motley Crue, Billy Joel, and even Bryan Adams. I've been chasing that concert high from seeing Van Halen ever since.  

Honorable Mention: "Ice Cream Man" (Van Halen)
I don't do covers on these lists, nor do I do honorable mentions. I try to leave covers off since I prefer to rank a band's original material as being their best. Yet "Ice Cream Man" belongs on this list in some fashion because you have to love the line, "bim bam banana pops."

10. "Everybody Wants Some!!" (Women And Children First)
This song never interested me at first however it's grown on me over the years, with it's percussion and DLR's Tarzan-like yell that open the song. His lyrics become even more absurb, including "looking for a moonbeam" and "getting lost in the jet stream." Honestly, it really doesn't matter what he says in these songs because the Van Halen bros and Michael Anthony are such excellent musicians; geniuses even! But I do love it when David gets his mid-song spoken word/poerty slam/rap what-have-you, "I like the little way the line runs up the back of the stalkings."

9. "Me Wise Magic" (Best Of- Volume 1)
Taken from the reunion of the foursome of Van Halen when DLR joined Michael Anthony and the brothers in 1996 as they wrote two new songs for a greatest hits collection. Musically, this song sounds more like what the band was writing on their previous album with Sammy Hagar, Balance. It's dark and experimental, and even Roth's vocals are a bit different, as it sounds like he's singing underwater at times. Other times he does a deep, poetic vocal and I like the shift in the song. While I'm sure there might be "better" songs in their catalog but one other factor that sets this song apart for me is that I came across the CD single in a box of assorted singles one night at the radio stations. I used to rummage through those singles when I got bored during those long late night shifts, and that's how I learned of the existence of this song, so listening to it now reminds me of my early days in radio back in 2003. Ah, nostalgia.

8. "Ain't 'Talkin 'Bout Love" (Van Halen)
When I first discovered who Van Halen was, I believe it was seeing the video for "Right Now" on MTV. Previously I recall seeing what I would later realize was actually David Lee Roth's solo material. Which means in my young age I was a "Van Hagar" fan first. As I began to dig into the Van Halen catalog I realized a way to sum up both versions of the band- David Lee Roth "ain't talkin' 'bout love", while Sammy is left wondering "why can't this be love"?


7. "Hot For Teacher" (1984)
Much like "Everybody Wants Some!!", this song has a dynamite drum intro from Alex Van Halen. More comical David Lee Roth vocals as well, "Hey, I heard you missed us, we're back! I BROUGHT MY PENCIL! Give me something to write on, man." People accuse AC/DC songs of sounding the same, and I can even make a check list of these Van Halen songs- Eddie solo, Roth's nonsense, killer drumming, Michael Anthony's backing vocals. I'm sure every band has a "formula", it's just how you use it that matters.


6. "Top Jimmy" (1984)
Another song from Van Halen's final album with David Lee Roth (until 2012, that is), this one is "Top Jimmy". I wonder if this song is almost autobiographical of the band- they play so good that the roof fell in. They're on the radio with a plethora of hits and now on the video, as their popularity was soaring thanks to MTV.

5. "Mean Street" (Fair Warning)
"Lord, strike that poor boy down!" Despite this album and the song "Mean Street" packing a punch that lands this album more in the territory of heavy metal, David Lee Roth still managed to add his goofy lyrics to lighten the tone.  That opening riffing from Eddie is amazing, too.


4. "Jump" (1984)
Sure, this song is played to death on radio stations all across the country and heard during half-time at sporting events everywhere, I still love it. The synth riff gets me pumped up every time. "Jump" follows suit with other Van Halen songs as it's experimental in nature, mixing the synth rock of pop bands with their own hard rock. Although Eddie had been testing the waters with similar results on previous songs like "Dancing In The Street", nothing had clicked quite like "Jump."


3. "Little Guitars" (Diver Down)
While the album Diver Down is full of off the wall covers, there are a few hidden gems, such as "Little Guitars." The music is Latin-styled and lyrics are about Senoritas, yet I always pretend David Lee Roth is singing about an "Etch-A-Sketch." It's actually "catch as catch", and yes, I l know I'm not right in the head. "The Full Bug" is an another original on Diver Down, which is so hard to leave off my list as it fluctuates from acoustic guitar to an electric riff, then a bluesy-stomp section, before going back to the rock.


2. "Panama" (1984)
This has to be without a doubt, the most rocking song in the entire Van Halen catalog, as it is the band firing on all cylinders. It's also about a sports car. Rock music, girls, and cars, that's a winning combination. Also, there's more of David Lee Roth's spoken vocals...."we're running a little bit hot tonight." You can't go wrong with that.

1. "Unchained" (Fair Warning)
The few times I attempted karaoke, this was my "jam." I wasn't particularly good, or even decent, I was terrible...but David Lee Roth's Van Halen songs are just plain fun. I mostly did it just for the middle section where David Lee Roth talks to an unknown voice, most likely the producer in the booth. "HEY! That suit is you....you'll get some leg tonight for sure. Tell us how you do." With the voice replying, "Gimme a break, Dave." "One break, COMING UP!" I've been told by several when asked whether they prefer the Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth era, that Dave is too cheesy, well... that's the point. That is exactly what swayed me from one side to the other- that the David Lee Roth tunes are simply fun, rock songs.

Comments

Popular Posts