Essential Three Days Grace Songs

 Granted I was never a "fan" of these guys but I will admit they have a few good songs. The songs that are taken from their albums are possibly the most generic rock radio songs I've heard in all my years of working for a radio station, with lyrics even more repetitive than singing about "rock and roll all nite and partying every day" while being 100% less catchy. So wait.... why I am I writing this anyway? 


10. "The High Road" (Transit Of Venus)
This album uses synthesizers more than the previous albums and "The High Road" sounds unique in that respect.


9. "World So Cold" (Life Starts Now)
Kind an emo-sounding song, although most of their songs seem to be that way. I think I've moved on a bit from this style and I'd rather have something either more artistic, either musically or lyrically. I'm all about that substance, man. Coming from their third album, the musical arrangement does seem to point ahead towards the style they'd utilize more on the following album, Transit Of Venus.

....two songs in and I feel like I'm already phoning in this "Top Ten."

8. "Now Or Never" (Three Days Grace)
Finger Eleven and Three Days Grace are touring together so I loaded up my phone with all of their albums so I could get reacquainted since I haven't listened to either band in quite a while. I honestly thought this song was an early song from Finger Eleven at first until I glanced at the track name. After seeing it was from Three Days Grace's first album, it dawned on me that they sound very much like early Finger Eleven, which should come as no surprise since they're both Canadian bands that broke out at the same time.

7. "Misery Loves My Company" (Transit Of Venus)
With Transit Of Venus, Three Days Grace had expanded their sound and began including guitar solos. I can't recall any songs having a solo until this album, and this song would be a prime example.


6. "Get Out Alive" (One X)
When I was getting into the TV series The X-Files I recall browsing around YouTube looking for different videos, though most seemed to be people making their own edits of Mulder and Scully clips set to sappy songs. I stumbled across one that featured clips of the villain Krycek and this song was used. I had heard enough of Three Days Grace's radio hits and never bothered with the albums, that is, until I heard "Get Out Alive."

5. "Operate" (Transit Of Venus)
Scott Weiland, during his days in STP, would often use a megaphone on stage. Seems to me like live versions of this song could benefit from that vocal effect too. I also like the groove of this song.


4. "On My Own" (One X)
This is the same as "Get Out Alive."

3. "Give Me A Reason" (Transit Of Venus)
With this song, I like how it changes in tempo with it being softer and then it kicks into a faster tempo with the percussion later in the song. While the lyrics are mostly the same from album to album, the band has a definite progression from album to album; it's just too bad their radio hits aren't a very good representation of that.


2. "Never Too Late" (One X)
While I can't always relate to a lot of their lyrics, I can relate to this one and I feel I'm not the only one. It's clearly about battling with depression, but the message is clear- don't fret, it's not too late for things to turn around.


1. "Sign Of The Times" (Transit Of Venus)
When I first popped in Transit Of Venus, I was expecting more of the same, however the first track "Sign Of The Times" sounded very unlike their previous songs. The arrangement seemed more intricate, which is the only way I can describe it. The following song on the album was right back to their previous style, although the rest of the album proved to have a higher level of quality much like "Sign Of The Times." I felt they had pushed themselves harder on with this album, but then the singer left the band right before they were set to tour, and I've never been quite sure why. Maybe he felt he couldn't top Transit Of Venus?

Comments

Popular Posts