The Bourne Identity (2002)


Credit: Universal Pictures
I’ll admit that the spy movies I prefer are full of billionaire bad guys bent on world domination with their armies of goons, and of course, pets. The Bourne series is grounded in reality and focused more on the espionage aspect, with assassination attempts, high-tech surveillance, and closed-door meetings. While it influenced the next generation of action movies, I wouldn’t place it within that genre. I like how its more focused on who Jason Bourne is and the unraveling of that mystery.

Matt Damon is an amazing casting move as Bourne, since he’s a great every-man. Just looking at him you wouldn’t assume he’s an ass-kicker, so we’re as surprised as he is when he discovers his amazing combat skills. Bourne learning these pieces about who is is, bit by bit, is what made the movie for me; I enjoyed his “quest” more than the scenes with the C.I.A.’s meetings. This movie plays like a modern twist on Hitchcock’s North By Northwest. In that film, the main character inadvertently becomes a spy when he stumbles into it, while Bourne is a spy but doesn’t even know it!

I said it’s not really a true action movie but its car-chases and fight scenes are certainly a step above many within that genre. In fact, The Bourne Identity is somewhat of an anomaly, or a hybrid of genres. I mentioned Hitchcock’s movies, which The Bourne Identity has a deliberate pace, much like his movies and other thrillers from the 60’s and 70’s. At the same time, the action is first-rate and gives it a modern feel. That being said, Matt DamOWNs and so does the Bourne series.

Comments

Popular Posts