Essential Type O Negative Songs

Note: I try to avoid covers and stick with band's original material, but I need to preface this by saying these guys always hit it out of the park when recording covers. I wish I could've included "Cinnamon Girl" because I find their version superior to Neil Young's. Sorry, not sorry.

10. "Christian Woman" (Bloody Kisses
Honestly, if I listen to this song, it's actually the shortened version from the Least Worst Of compilation. While Bloody Kisses is full of the 'classic' Type O Negative songs, I think I'm just impatient when it comes to this album.

9. "Blood And Fire" (Bloody Kisses)
While Type O Negative sounds like Black Sabbath and The Cure's bastard son, this particular sounds more the vein of Mountain or Deep Purple thanks to the band's wicked rhythm section.


8. "Everything Dies" (World Coming Down)
For the most part, if I revisit Type O Negative, it's usually one of two things- the entire October Rust album or cherry picking songs from World Coming Down. So I guess that also gives away the rest of my list....

 
7. "12 Black Rainbows" (The Least Worst Of)
I think their compilation The Least Worst Of featured a handful of b-sides/unreleased tracks, including "Stay Out Of My Dreams", "It's Never Enough", and this song. I've always dug this one and thought the elephant/animal noises were an interesting addition to the song. As if these guys are so spooky, they're conjuring up Chtulu.


6. "Life Is Killing Me" (Life Is Killing Me)
Life Is Killing Me was the first album they released after I became a fan and I was eagerly anticipating its release. I'd heard "I Don't Wanna Be Me" on a free record store sampler and I believe another song was released in advance on the soundtrack for a horror movie. This album seems way more concise than their previous albums, with a lot of shorter songs and no instrumental interludes, but it's still full of great songs. It's hard to narrow it down, from "Todd's Ship Gods" and "Nettie" being among other standouts, that I only went with this one.
 
5. "Everyone I Love Is Dead" (World Coming Down)
I keep going back and forth on "Everyone I Love Is Dead" and "Everything Dies." Both were pretty deep songs from Peter Steele, as I found out he suffered a lot of losses in his family between recording October Rust and World Coming Down. I think if I were to make this next week, I'd have those songs flip-flopped.

4. "Black No 1" (Bloody Kisses)
Every time I make one of these lists, my first step is to make a rough draft of a Top Ten. Then I absorb the albums of a particular band, to see if I overlooked anything and just to take it all in. This is an example of why I 'make a list and check it twice' because I initially had it at the #10 slot. I'm glad I came to my senses because "Black No 1" might be their most famous song and for good reason. Its super tongue-in-cheek and just flat our rocks; like a great way to sum up their brand of metal in one track.



3. "Love You To Death" (October Rust
I guess it's easy to compare Type O Negative to Black Sabbath but I feel like this album pushed them further into the territory of The Cure; maybe more heavy on the goth on October Rust than it was metal. Why isn't this on every romantic songs playlist? I digress; there's an abundance of killer songs on this album that makes it hard to narrow it down, but I have two clear favorites...


2. "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" (October Rust
The organ in this song is so infectious!


1. "Creepy Green Light" (World Coming Down)
I feel like this happens quite often with music, that your first introduction is typically always your favorite. That's the case with myself and "Creepy Green Light", as it was the first song I'd heard on a CD sampler I got from my friend Luke who started working at a record store during our senior year of high school. I think this particular sampler was given out along with the release of a Megadeth album, so there must've been extras at the shop since I never purchased that particular album. In fact, I got into Type O Negative a few years prior to diving into Megadeth... so I suppose the sampler did it's job.

Comments

Popular Posts