Essential Starz Songs



10. "Live Wire" (Starz)
Not to knock this album but it sounds like a super polished Hotter Than Hell and even the opening track reminds me of "Mainline". There's even the obvious Detroit connection in the lyrics, too. The opening riff of "Live Wire" feels like the best lick KISS never wrote. Perhaps it wasn't a total carbon copy but everything here sounds a little familiar. Maybe that's why this band never took off and it's a shame. People heard the KISS connections and dismissed them, not sticking around to hear this band come into their own over the following albums. **An honorable mention would go the ending jam on "Boys In Action".**

9. "(She's Just A) Fallen Angel" (Starz)
The jewel of the first Starz album. I feel like once they kinda tweaked the lyrics, they were really onto something with their ballads. Which leads to the next song...


8. "Hold On To The Night" (Attention Shoppers!)
If this was recorded by another 70's artist, anyone but Starz, it would probably be on those 70's Gold compilations to this day. What a shame! Aside from that, Attention Shoppers! deserves at least one song on here so I can mention the fact that I love the album's packaging. The back cover shows the band in a storefront window while a shopper passing by is carrying their album. The inner sleeve containing the record is made to resemble a paper grocery sack. They sure don't put that much effort into records these days.


10. "S.T.E.A.D.Y." (Violation)
When I was listening to the music of Starz last spring to prepare for the concert I was going to see with my friend Jim, I wasn't too thrilled with this song. It was a little on the cheesy side. However, Jim completely changed my opinion on this song after he sang along to it during our road trip ... firmly pushing it all the way into the cheese territory! Yet this song does fit this album, specifically alongside the title track's lyrics.

6. "Cherry Baby" (Violation)
A solid album opener and it feels like everything that made them sound KISS-like on the first album was pulled back a bit and here they're coming into their own. 

5. "Last Night I Wrote A Letter" (Coliseum Rock)
I think I swapped this song and my number 4 song about 6 times. 


4. "Where Will It End" (Coliseum Rock)
I feel like Starz had their strongest songwriting on Coliseum Rock or at the very least you could argue that this is their most consistent album.
3. "Subway Terror" (Violation)
This album, and this song in particular, sounds like it should've been the soundtrack to that movie The Warriors. There's some very visual lyrics here, talking about blades and nurses on trains. If I saw Michael Lee Smith on a train... I'd instantly walk the opposite direction.


2. "My Sweet Child" (Coliseum Rock)
The best lyrical work that Starz put to music.


1. "Violation" (Violation)
Why, why, why, isn't Starz more well-known?? This song should've been an instant rock n roll classic! I love the call-and-response in the song- "No! That's a Violation!" from the backing vocals in the chorus.

Comments

Popular Posts