Favorite Concerts Of 2018

2018 
I always say I'm gonna cut back on shows each year, but then the spring and summer end up becoming hard to resist the amount of bands that are on tour. It's hard to narrow them down to 10, as it's like choosing between friends, since concerts and hanging with friends go hand in hand.

10. Smashing Pumpkins/Metric (Chicago - August)
I had been waiting a LONG time to see The Smashing Pumpkins, so I jumped at the chance to catch them "reunited" on this tour. So did a lot of people apparently, as the Chicago show sold out fast enough for them to book a 2nd night. I wasn't too impressed with Billy's visuals for the show, which even included a video of a girl laying at the feet of a statue that appeared to resemble Billy, draped in Catholic robes. I knew Billy was a very self-absorbed but not to that level. If you closed your eyes, the band sounded amazing. And I liked the opener- Metric a lot, so I guess the positives outweighed the annoyances.


9. Earth Wind & Fire (Peoria - March)
I was lucky to attend this show as a fill-in for my friend Jim. It was a great concert but I wish he was there to enjoy it, so it was one that was bitter-sweet. I did get my first real experience of ripping a setlist off the stage, which was a little rewarding. :) Jim's wife snagged a guitar pick and was handed a set of drum sticks, so that was extra special too.


8. Chromeo (St. Louis - September)
I had been waiting awhile to see this band too, and it was worth it! The show was also at my favorite venue- The Pageant, and I got right up front on the rail.... though I didn't get a pick. I opened my mouth and pointed out that one was still on the floor, and the security guard handed it off to someone else. Lesson learned! :P


7. Stone Temple Pilots/Pop Evil/10 Years (Peoria - May)
I've become a little bit of a setlist freak this year. After being up front for EWF, I guess Jim's front row habits wore off on me, so I had a goal to get up front for this show and hold my spot for the entire show. I felt a little bad dragging my friend Luke along with me to the front... but I think it was worth it. I did score a Stone Temple Pilots set and he got a Pop Evil pick for a friend. As far as the bands, I thought STP had a great set that mixed in the hits and some deeper cuts from "No. 4." Pop Evil was pretty energetic, and surprisingly, so was 10 Years.

6. Anderson East (Bloomington - September)
Another show... another setlist! I didn't expect that though, as I just wanted to attend the show after hearing a live radio performance he did two years ago for WWCT. The guy is impressive live, and I dig the big backing band he had with him. Can't beat covering Rod Stewart, too!


5. Struts/Record Company (Peoria - November)
I saw the Record Company earlier in the year, after missing their last couple of shows here in town. So I was pumped to see them again, with an added bonus of checking out The Struts, who my friend Jim had raved about after seeing them earlier this year. Both bands are radically different, but equally impressive live... like a perfect storm of rock n roll. And Jim got another set list! :P


4. Alice Cooper's Christmas Pudding (Phoenix - December)
I think my first time attending Cooper's fundraiser/variety show two years ago was hard to top, with Korn, Sammy Hagar, the Gin Blossoms, and the Hollywood Vampires headlining. This year the line-up besides the Vampires, featured Beasto Blanco, and Sebastian Bach, Gretchen Wilson, and Blue Oyster Cult members Eric Bloom and Buck Dharma performing. That's not to take away from this year, but think I think I liked 2016 better because with less acts, everyone got to longer sets.


3. Alice Cooper Band (Moline - March)
This was a perfect 'stars aligning' moment, since the Cooper band members had an off-day, before their Tuesday night performance with Alice at the arena in Moline. Rascals is always pretty fun because the band will hang out after the show, and this time was more memorable because of the photos with Ryan and Chuck, and my "girls shirt."


2. Ghost (Peoria - November)
I used to get a feeling after concerts where I'd lay around that night following the show, and replay the entire event in my head. Sometimes that would even last til the next day. Maybe I've seen too many concerts since then, because that feeling has significantly decreased; or those early ones just set the bar too high. However, Ghost playing two sets that packed in nearly every song from their two most recent albums, was one of those shows! I was riding that concert high for a long time following the end of their performance.



1. Paul Rodgers/Jeff Beck/Ann Wilson (St. Louis - July)
This was a concert I was expecting to enjoy, because I like experiencing live music, especially with my friend Jim. However this was nowhere near the level I expected. It's really hard to sum it up so I'll keep it short..
-I wasn't familiar with any Jeff Beck songs, but he and his band are force of nature, especially Jimmy Hall. That guy has a voice!
-Ann Wilson's voice is amazing too! Even though she only did one Heart song, the covers she chose to fill her set were excellent.
-Paul Rodgers is just like Jim hyped him up- he still sounds amazing, nearly the same as he did on Bad Company's debut album.

Comments

Popular Posts