Favorite Albums of 2018



A few times this month while browsing social media, I've seen websites claiming "2019 will be rock's biggest year", and we all know the claims persist that "rock is dead." Yet, I feel like that must mean people have slept on 2018, or a case where those websites need clicks on their articles that hype up next year. Regardless, I felt 2018 had a lot to offer in terms of new music.

I listened to quite a few albums, streamed several, even purchased a couple new albums on vinyl, which I hadn't done before. Typically if I bought something on vinyl, it was just a used copy of an older album like Bryan Adams' Reckless. Even a few artists I enjoy released new music in the form of single tracks, so they'll be mentioned as well. I usually felt as if the odd-numbered years were the best for new music but 2018 gave those odds a run for their money... or perhaps a lot of mine.


Honorable Mentions
-Jimmy Eat World is currently recording a new full-length album at the moment, which I've caught glimpses of through their Instagram account. In 2018, they did tease us with a couple of new songs, released in the spring as Love Never/half heart. While 2016's Integrity Blues was a bit on the experimental side, these two songs were a bit more of their 'stripped down' rock featured on the previous album, Damage, from 2013. I like the direction they're going, if that's any kind of clue as to what 2019 will bring to JEW fans.

-Ryan Adams released one of my favorite albums of last year, so I wasn't expecting anything new from him for awhile. Yet on Valentine's Day he quietly released a new song, "Baby I Love You." After his recent shift in sound towards classic rock like Bruce Springsteen and John Mellencamp, this song seemed to have reached deeper into the past and reminded me a little of Roy Orbison.


10. Amanda Shires To The Sunset
I've been a fan of Jason Isbell for a few years now, and saw Amanda perform with her husband's band a couple of times, yet her solo music was never on my radar. This fall her new song "Leave It Alone" was featured on WWCT, so I took the opportunity to check her out album and also her live show. I was impressed; I think her lyrics hit a little closer than Jason's do. Like her husband, she also has a sense of humor on stage, too.
Favorite Track- "Take On The Dark"


9. Myles Kennedy Year of the Tiger
Myles had been planning a solo album for several years, in between performing and writing with Alter Bridge and Slash; he's a busy guy. He apparently scrapped the entire album when he finally had a chance to revisit what he'd written, and instead went in a more personal direction with Year of the Tiger. Alter Bridge has 'spread their wings' over the years, so I wonder if perhaps the original material sounded closer in style to early AB, and he wanted something a little more stripped down. I like the change, as it offered something different to his other projects. I even caught his solo acoustic tour as well, which was great. Some may not care for his voice as much as others do, however I like his voice and felt this style let his voice shine. Something notable about this album for me is that it's the last CD I'll ever purchase at Best Buy. It was released in March and their release included a handful of bonus tracks, which was worth the purchase. A few months later their entire CD inventory was gone... I can't think of a a more fitting way to go out, since the previous CD purchase I'd made was 2017's live album from Alter Bridge
Favorite Track- "Songbird" 

8. Muse Simulation Theory
My introduction to Muse was with 2003's release, Absolution. That came on my radar the following summer, when my sister and I religiously watched MTV2's Rock Countdown and were exposed to not only Muse, but The Killers, Framz Ferdinand, and Modest Mouse. I dug Muse's "Time Is Running Out" so I bought the CD, and have bought every release since then. However none have really made an impact like Absolution... until Simulation Theory. It's still in their bombastic rock style, yet is more song driven rather than being a concept album. There is still a running theme throughout, as it does seem more like its capitalizing on the current 1980's retro trend, even down to it's cover artwork with werewolves and hot pink images. The band really hyped this up too, as they released half of the album as singles in the year leading up to it's fall 2018 release.
Favorite Track- "Pressure" (especially the bonus track version with a marching band!)

7. Metric Art Of Doubt
While most of my favorites from 2018 were from long time favorites, a handful are from artists that were new to me; one being Metric. I saw them open up for the Smashing Pumpkins and was instantly hooked! There was an 80's synth vibe, there were loud guitars, and even a female vocalist whose singing style was captivating. She could get rough and shout, but also had a melodic singing style. I've been a fan since and almost immediately pre-ordered the new album; and bought an older one online. The artwork leaves a lot to be desired, and the title track is my least favorite of the bunch, but it doesn't hinder my enjoyment overall.
Favorite Track- "Love You Back"


6. Slash feat. Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators Living The Dream
I didn't expect this album to happen, especially not this soon, since Slash was still working with Guns N Roses this year. Not to mention Myles releasing his own album and doing two separate tours- a solo acoustic tour and one plugged in with a band. These guys still got it, and Living The Dream does not disappoint. It's really hard to narrow down a single track as being a stand-out favorite, plus the entire package of the album is just bad ass, too. I sprung for a vinyl release that included a hard-cover book and some extra goodies, however I didn't realize the book wasn't separate! The album itself is a hard-back gatefold, with a pouch containing 5 colored picks with a letter on each that spell out 'SLASH'; a mini fold-out poster; a '45 of the single "Driving Rain"; and a CD of the album. While I wasn't really as hyped for "Driving Rain", it is one that makes the most sense as a radio rock song. "My Antidote" was a pre-release song that I did get hyped for, and it's one of my favorites on the album.
Favorite Track- "Boulevard Of Broken Hearts"

5. Chromeo Head Over Heels
My friend Luke turned me on to these guys in 2011 and I've been hooked since. While they've got a love for 80's pop, specifically Hall & Oates, they have a millennial leaning, sexed up sense of humor. This album shows them branching out a bit by adding plenty of guest vocalists but they didn't sacrifice their ability to make people bust a move.
Favorite Track- "Count Me Out"


4. A Star Is Born Soundtrack
I never really expected to like this movie the way I did, especially it's soundtrack. All of the songs were written specifically for the movie, as either collaborations with Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, or with Willie Nelson's son Lukas (who also performed in the movie with Cooper's band). One exception was a song written by Jason Isbell for the film. As soon as I saw the movie with my family, I downloaded the soundtrack as fast as I could. I even listened to it from start to finish on my drive back home from the St. Louis Airport. Pretty hard to narrow down a single favorite, as the country rock with Bradley Cooper impressed me, and I'm a softy for a great love song.
Favorite Track- "Shallow"

3. Ryan Roxie Imagine Your Reality
While Alice Cooper is my favorite live band to see, I feel I enjoy listening to his band members' solo work more than the Cooper catalog. Ryan Roxie's music seems to cover a pretty wide spectrum, from hard guitar driven songs to acoustic ballads, and this new album is no different. "Over and Done" and "To Live and Die in L.A." were pre-release singles that rocked, while the album itself featured a cover of Coldplay's "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", and "Heart's In Trouble" had a little country flair. It feels like the hardest rocking album that Cheap Trick didn't release, as it starts with quick introductory track that has a big live vibe with "Big Rock Show", and the album even features Robin Zander on vocals for a cover of "California Man."
Favorite Track- "Hearts In Trouble"


2. The Great Affairs Ten & 2
My fave band came back with a new album after teasing new material for about a year, yet I tried to be spoiler free, other than the live songs I'd heard like "Back To Boston" at a few gigs. While every album definitely has the TGA stamp on it, it seems like each one has its own distinct feel to it. Really hard to narrow down a favorite as every track is a stand-out, but I really dig the hard rock of the almost-was title track, "Like Stone", with its unique Beatles'esque bridge.
Favorite Track- "Like Stone"


1. Ghost Prequelle
I wasn't sure if they'd be able to top the last album, which balanced the hard and heavy songs with lighter tunes like "He Is." This one feels like it leaned more towards the lighter, epic songs, and quickly got the heavier moments out of the way early with "Rats" and "Faith." It was a bit surprising at first, yet it definitely grew on me as the year went on. Ghost made a big statement in 2015 with Meliora that they weren't just a novelty act, that they had some music chops, beyond the spooky costumes and satanic gimmick. Now in 2018 they seemed to make another statement, don't pidgeon hole us as just a metal band. Each album has progressed, so it'll be interesting to see and hear where they go next.
Favorite Track- "Dance Macabre"

Comments

Popular Posts