Essential Red Hot Chili Peppers Songs


10. "Around The World" (Californication
The Chili Peppers emerged in the early 90s when music wasn't a passion of mine like it would later become, so my introduction to the band came later in the decade with the release of Californication. This album's numerous hit singles were in constant rotation on the radio and MTV, with it becoming the soundtrack to my summer prior to becoming a sophomore in high school. "Around the World" wasn't the first single, but it did kick off the album as it's opening track, and it featured a rejuvenated Chili Peppers playing with intensity.

9. "My Friends" (One Hot Minute)
I'm not really certain why Dave Navarro wasn't a good fit for the Chili Peppers. On the surface, the band is very eccentric, and a guy like Dave was in Jane's Addiction with the equally eccentric Perry Farrell. Dave plays shirtless, while the Chili Peppers were known for performing in tube socks. Appearances doesn't equal great bandmates and apparently their was friction in the writing process while Dave was a member of the band.

8. "Did I Let You Know" (I'm With You)
The Chili Peppers lost me with their double disc album, Stadium Arcadium, as I'm not totally a fan of these types of albums. They usually seem bloated and this was no exception, so their follow-up album that was released five years later wasn't even a blip on my radar. Shortly after it's release, I recall playing a music trivia game and lost the grand prize question, which was to name the cover image on the Chili Peppers' I'm With You album. I vowed to never forget about this album, nor it's cover image, which is a fly on a pill.

7. "Give It Away" (Blood Sugar Sex Magik)
I have no idea what Anthony Kiedis' lyrics are about, but apparently this song was inspired by an ex-girlfriend that Kiedis had, who gave him a jacket from her closet. The story goes- Hagen immediately told him to keep it. Her reasoning behind this selflessness was due to an attempt to constantly make her life more enjoyable, and explained to Kiedis that "if you have a closet full of clothes and you try to keep them all, your life will get very small. But if you have a full closet and someone sees something they like, if you give it to them, the world is a better place.

6. "Tell Me Baby" (Stadium Arcadium)
This is the style of Chili Peppers' songs that I gravitate to the most. Their funky, danecable songs that make you nod your head, tap your toes, or whichever body part you feel like moving. I'm glad I revisited Stadium Arcadium and gave it and honest shot, because I forgot how much I actually liked this song.

5. "Look Around" (I'm With You)
Another example of an extremely funky and danceable song, just like "Tell Me Baby". This is a stand-out track among the many on I'm With You, which has actually become not just a fun album to listen to, but probably my favorite from the Chili Peppers' catalog.


4. "Love Rollecoaster" (Beavis & Butt-Head Do America Soundtrack)
I try to avoid listing covers when making my top ten songs list, because it seems like an artist's best work should be their own material, yet I can make an exception here. The Chili Peppers made this song by the Ohio Players into their own, adding rap verses by Anthony Kiedis, and also replacing the horns with kazoos. Its infectious, and also too bad they've never performed it live.

3. "Otherside" (Californication)
The Chili Peppers were playing with urgency and intensity on Californication, with many fast and furious songs like "Parallel Universe", "Around the World", and this one. I think it's unique, visual music video hooked me initially more than the song itself, because it reminded me of Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight, Tonight" for it's inspiration from silent films. Around this same time, I believe Rob Zombie did the same for his music video for "Living Dead Girl."

2. "Fortune Faded" (Greatest Hits)
Found on the Chili Peppers' 2003 Greatest Hits album, "Fortune Faded" was not on any studio albums, although it was recorded during the sessions for the previous year's By The Way. I like the mixing of electric guitar and acoustic.

1. "Soul To Squeeze" (Coneheads Soundtrack)
This isn't a typical song from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, as to me it sounds a lot like other groups from that alternative rock era of the 90's, like the Black Crowes. Must be the organ I'm hearing.
 

Comments

Popular Posts