Essential Audioslave Songs

The 1990's alternative scene saw many of it's hit-making acts fizzle out by decade's end, though several would continue on with various members forming super-groups. STP's front man Scott Weiland would join forces with a trio from Guns N Roses, calling themselves Velvet Revolver. Chris Cornell from Soundgarden teamed up with Rage Against the Machine members Tim Commerford, Brad Wilk, and Tom Morello to become Audioslave, my featured band for this week's list. A few other super groups sprouted up in the early to mid-2000's though Audioslave was arguably the most successful of the pack.

10. "Jewel Of The Summertime" (Revelations)
Audioslave released their third album, Revelations, in late 2006 and broke up by year's end. It's a darn shame because this album is my favorite of the three! They were finally hitting a groove as the band was moving their "sound" into a direction of their own, rather than just appearing to be a blend of their previous bands.

9. "I Am The Highway" (Audioslave)
I recently saw Boston in concert with my friend Jim and he told me that he listened to their first album every day before high school. I couldn't recall any albums that impacted me in such a way, that I played it daily before school. While listening to this CD again before seeing Chris Cornell, I was transported back to 2002, when this album was released. I did in fact listen to this one daily in 2002- I had recently began community college and this album was constantly spinning in my car.

8. "Moth" (Revelations)
Another selection from Audioslave's third and final album, I love the groove in this song, and the angry lyrics from Cornell.


7. "Revelations" (Revelations)
I believe this was the lead-off single from Revelations, showing off a funky side of Audioslave that would shape the entire album. I like how it opens with an instrumental piece calling back to their previous album, but then blows the doors off once the band kicks in. They definitely pushed forward in a different musical direction for each album when they could've easily settled for "Soundgarden 2.0" or something.


6. "Out Of Exile" (Out Of Exile)
I really don't have many stories or personal connections to these songs from Audioslave, I just know that I like them. They rock. Sometimes that's all it takes when it comes to music.



5. "Like A Stone" (Audioslave)
The little snippets of audio between songs on radio stations are called "imaging." They usually mention the station's name, along with a quick clip of a rock song or two, maybe even a sound byte from a movie. Back when I was in college, I had an Audio Production course, and for one project that was similar to radio station imaging, I used this song.

4. "Be Yourself" (Out Of Exile)
It feels more like Audioslave was borrowing from U2 than Soundgarden or Rage Against the Machine, but that's alright with me.

3. "Show Me How To Live" (Audioslave
A hard rocker from Audioslave's debut album, which I can remember I was hoping this would eventually become a single. I believe it later became the third or fourth, following lead single "Cochise", and later "Like A Stone."


2. "Wide Awake" (Revelations
Definitely some political lyrics in this song, as was the case for plenty of bands during the George W. Bush era; in fact I recall he provided enough material for about 3 or 4 albums from Ministry! Although it doesn't even have to be about anything related to George W., it could even be relevant today as people seem to turn a blind eye- "I found you guilty of a crime, of sleeping at a time, when you should have been wide awake."


1. "Original Fire" (Revelations)
Everything on Revelations is funky and this is dripping with a groove straight out of the 1970's. I just wanna dance around and clap to this song.

Comments

Popular Posts