Essential Foreigner Songs

Foreigner is one of those bands you could call "sneaky good." That's because I doubt they would rank on anyone's "all time" list, yet everyone is familiar with their songs. Even as I was getting ready to see them in concert last month, my friends and I kept rattling off song after song. They had so many radio staples over the course of nearly ten years, from the late 70's til the mid-1980's, which are still heard on classic rock today or in promotional advertisements.

10. "That Was Yesterday" (Agent Provocateur)
Found on their fifth album, Agent Provocateur. While it's not nearly as famous a ballad as "I Want To Know What Love Is", which is the very next track on the album, I like this one much more. The lyrics are about a relationship that has ended, but instead of dwelling on the past, the person is moving on.


9. "Head Games" (Head Games)
After going through all of their albums in preparation for the concert and this list, Head Games was a definite highlight of their catalog. By this album, their third, they'd perfected the formula of 'radio rock' and were firing on all cylinders. The title track is a rocking song, with the drums and synths propelling the song.

8. "Hand On My Heart" (Mr. Moonlight)
This was post-hey day for Foreigner, as Lou Gramm left the band at the end of the decade of the 1980's. He returned a few years later to record this album, though the musical landscape had changed with the takeover of grunge and alternative rock. I think this was still a solid outing that was likely lost in the shuffle, just like every other 80's act. Which is a shame since this ballad stands up next to their hits of the 80's.



7. "Jukebox Hero" (4)
Probably pretty low compared to where most will rank it. Oh well.

6. "Women" (Head Games)
A hidden gem that I'm glad I rediscovered while going through Foreigner's catalog.  I like the silly rhymes about all sorts of women. Just a fun song.

5. "Tooth and Nail" (Agent Provocateur)
I didn't even know Foreigner could rock this hard! Seriously.


4. "Blue Morning, Blue Day" (Double Vision)
I can't believe this song doesn't get nearly as much radio play as the rest of their hits, and it's not even on their recent setlists either. Such a shame.
 
3. "Dirty White Boy" (Head Games)
I already would've ranked this among by favorite Foreigner songs but it's place was definitely cemented when my friends in The Great Affairs knocked out a fun cover of it. I believe it was even the first time I saw the band back in the spring of 2014, they performed an acoustic version.


2.  "Urgent" (4)
I remember this song, along with maybe "Double Vision" and "Hot Blooded", being featured in a series of Burger King commercials from my childhood. My whopper, make it fast, make it URGENT! Emergency!

1. "Say You Will"(Inside Information)
I would've said this was my favorite Foreigner song but even more now after seeing them live. They performed this as an acoustic version and it was pretty excellently arranged. Outstanding.

Comments

Popular Posts