Essential Ghost Songs

 Ok, so Ghost only has 3 albums under their belt, or rather their cloak. However one of those albums has earned them a Grammy, so I think they've earned the right to have a list of "essential" songs. In the tradition of mixing macabre themes with music, such as Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper, Ghost has adopted ghoulish mock-religious attire that matches their "satanic" lyrics. It's definitely not just a gimmick as they've got the musical talent to back it up.

10. "Body And Blood" (Infestissumam)
In communion in church, when they serve a wafer and wine, they say it represents the "body and blood"of Christ. Playing on the 'satanic' theme of the band, this song is a tongue-in-cheek representation of literally consuming the body and blood of Christ. "So eat Nazarene." Yum.

9. "Ritual" (Opus Eponymous)
Every time I hear this song all I can think of this line "Invoking the master" which a coworker of mine joked was actually "Pokemon master." It still rocks regardless.
 
8. "Ghuleh/Zombie Queen" (Infestissumam)
This song threw me for a loop at first. It began as a hushed song done on an organ before transforming into a spooky surf rocker. Definitely showing off the band's knack for 1970's inspired rock and roll.


7. "Stand By Him"(Opus Eponymous)
The devil's power is absolutely the greater one. "Stand By Him" hooked me with it's fiery drum intro, followed by that rocking metal riff.
 
6. "From The Pinnacle To The Pit" (Meliora)
Such a crunchy bass riff, it's like Ghost transforming into 1990's Metallica territory.



5. "If You Have Ghosts" (If You Have Ghost EP)
I normally avoid cover songs on these lists but this sounds like it actually belongs to Ghost. The haunting strings and dirgy organ are a contrast to the original version's twangy guitar. They definitely made it their own.


4. "Cirice" (Meliora)
I love how this song shifts between softer and heavier moments, along with thunderous percussion. The band has definitely spread it's wings into heavier territory here, while still retaining their melodic side.

3. "He Is" (Meliora)
I'll admit, after buying Ghost's two albums and seeing them live, I quickly burnt out and felt like they might actually be nothing more than a novelty band. Hearing "He Is" hooked me all over again. With this third album they weren't just singing "Hail Satan" over and over, but they wrote creative lyrics to match the music.


2. "Year Zero" (Infestissumam)
A few friends introduced me to Ghost back in 2013 on a road trip to Joliet, listening to "Year Zero" in the car. Later, between bands at the show we were attending, the house PA played "Year Zero." After hearing it twice in one night and getting hooked on the cheesy lyrics that recite nicknames for the Devil, I rushed out to buy Infestissumam right away. I think I bought that album on CD on Monday, and bought their debut on iTunes the following day. Saying I was hooked is an understatement.


1.  "Absolution" (Meliora)
When I first heard Ghost's debut album, they sounded like a melding of modern metal and 70's rock like ELO; an evil ELO. This third album, and this song especially, takes that step even further, pushing the band into the territory of progressive rock. I could listen to this song all day.

Comments

Popular Posts