Essential Run-DMC Songs

While my wheelhouse is rock music, I did grow up in the 80's so I have a soft spot for those ballads of the time. Also the 1980's saw the rise of rap music, specifically Run-DMC, yet I didn't receive a proper introduction to them until much later. I'm familiar with many of their songs over the years but never actually listened to a full album until selecting them for one of these "top ten" lists. I'm glad I did because they offer much more than those hits and are certainly worthy of the praise they're given and their spot in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.

10. "Tougher Than Leather" (Tougher Than Leather)
Title track to their fourth album, this song is an example of how the band updated their style. The first few albums were full of fun rap-rock fusions, but on Tougher Than Leather it seemed to be the start of the trio adopting a more aggressive style. I went back and forth on including this song or "I'm Not Going Out Like That", which had a chorus comprised of sampled lyrics from other songs and I thought that was unique. I went with the title track because it had that harder edge, and seemed like they really beefed up the rock aspect, as if they truly did "raise hell" and had Jimi Hendrix lay down a mean guitar lick for this track.

9. "Christmas In Hollis" (A Very Special Christmas)
I feel like this top ten wouldn't be complete without this song. I love how 80's rap song were about simpler things, and fun things like rapping about food. Today its all about bitches and ho's, and even made up words these days, like "saucin'" on someone. Whatever that means....anyways. This has a verse about eating a holiday meal consisting of mac n cheese. Who could diss that Christmas tradition?

8. "My Adidas" (Raising Hell)
This brand of footwear is part of their famous attire so it only made sense they'd write a song about it. It was also the lead single from their chart-topping, massively successful, third album, Raising Hell.

7. "Peter Piper" (Raising Hell)
I've probably listened to this song the most because I just love that percussion. Although I learned its sampled from a song called "Take Me To Mardi Gras" when looking up the history of Run-DMC's albums. I digress, while the sampling isn't their own, they do provide some pretty comical lyrics. DMC is the adult entertainer and child eductator, while Jam Master Jay is the king of the crossfader, and naturally Run rocked the rhymes. That's a helluva resume.


6. "Miss Elaine" (Tougher Than Leather)
This is a prime example of why I'm glad I decided to dig into their catalog and finally listen their full albums. This song is catchy as hell and the lyrics are pretty good too- pretty much the rap equivalent of "Hot For Teacher."




5. "Rock Box" (Run-DMC)
The guitar riff is awesome, as is the case with most of their songs. This one seems more like a "call to arms" for the listeners, telling them that their rhymes are sharp as a nail, also they're never stale. While the listener can do what they want to, they can't leave until Run-DMC is through. But why would you want to leave? The rhymes just keep coming and most importantly, they make a lot of sense.

4. "You Talk Too Much" (King Of Rock)
I came across this song when listening to Run-DMC's Essentials collection at work recently. The lyrics are humorous but I also felt it perfectly summed up an annoying co-worker. My company's owner has even said if this guy's mouth were taped shut, he'd probably explode because he couldn't talk. The guy never shuts up, is a big know-it-all who in actuality knows very little, and also loves to gossip. I also like how Run and DMC trade off lyrics, each saying a line, and keeps the song flowing.

3. "Hard Times" (Run-DMC)
This is another recent favorite, after being introduced to it following my decision to feature Run-DMC. I feel like this song is also one I can relate to, with lyrics like, "all day I have to work at my peak, because I need that dollar every day of the week." Run and DMC use their trademark style of trading off lines back and forth, keeping the song flowing fast and furious. The rhymes are creative too, making my sides hurt from laughter each time I listen to it.

2. "It's Tricky" (Raising Hell)
As is the song wasn't cool enough, the group shows up in their music video in a helicopter with their logo on it. What else can I say after that... a HELICOPTER.

1. "King Of Rock" (King Of Rock)
I guess as much as I try to get into rap, I just can't go all the way. Not only did Run-DMC create fun lyrics, they also fused hip hop with rock music, so that gives them an edge over their peers. I can get down with the beats but never feel stupid after listening to their lyrics like so many other artists. This is without a doubt the prime example of rap-rock. Many have followed, even Run-DMC did it by covering Aerosmith and including Joe Perry and Steven Tyler, but none can touch this song. Especially that cow bell!

Comments

Popular Posts