Essential Taylor Swift Songs

 I've only been a recent convert to the fandom of Taylor Swift, partly thanks to Ryan Adams' decision to cover her recent 1989 album in it's entirety. It allowed me to focus on the song-writing and lyrics, stripping away the pop production, revealing the songs for what they truly are. There's no question that she has talent, especially in this world of so many manufactured pop singers. 

10. "Blank Space" (1989)
All of Taylor's songs are about her relationships and "Blank Space" appears to be written as a self-referential song.


9. "All Too Well" (Red)
Another of her break-up songs with a famous ex (likely Jake Gyllenhaal), she turned the tragedy into gold. Judging from these songs, it seems she's never the one at fault, though that does make for some interesting metaphors in her lyrics, "and maybe this thing was a masterpiece til you tore it all up."


8. "The Last Time (Featuring Gary Lightbody)" (Red)
I recently traveled to Southern Illinois and then into a corner of the state of Kentucky, so I spent several hours inside a rental car with music on the stereo. A good portion of that was spent listening to Taylor Swift, and while I own 1989, Red seemed to become a better album as a whole. While it's more of a bridge, or better yet a transformation from country into pop music, I like that balance between both worlds. There are a few rock songs (like "State Of Grace"), ballads, and catchy pop tunes like "I Knew You Were Trouble." This is one of two ballads from that album.

7. "Back To December" (Speak Now)
I was never a country music listener but was always exposed to different artists and their songs due to my job working for several radio stations. I was never a fan of Taylor's, though some like "Mean" seemed to be catchy. This is one I actually took notice of because it was a legit good song. Not that the others weren't necessarily "good", they just seemed very much in that country music formula; "Back To December" broke the mold.

6. "I Know Places" (1989)
This song appears to be written about paparazzi and all of the tabloids that love to publish stories and photos about Taylor and the men she's dated.

5. "State Of Grace" (Red)
For those who think Taylor was just a county star or now just a pop star, well this proves she can rock, too. Not to be confused with the equally good Billy Joel song from 1989.


4. "Wildest Dreams" (1989)
When I first heard this song, my thoughts were that this was a Lana Del Ray song done right! That Lana Del Ray girl is just irritating. She might have a nice voice but she's a one-note pop star who over-sings in some lusty, breathy voice over the same song ad nauseum. Taylor only does that breathy vocal style on the verses. I prefer the Ryan Adams' cover, which is my favorite among the many good covers, but it's a close match between that and the original.

3. "All You Had To Do Was Stay" (1989)
Was this song written specifically for me? It felt like a dagger to my own heart after realizing I fit the subject of the song, as I have done this a time or two in the past and regretted it. Not that I wanted to hurt someone, I guess I was only thinking of myself and threw away something good.

2. "Everything Has Changed (Featuring Ed Sheeran)" (Red)
Finally an upbeat and positive love song from Taylor; usually they're all break-up songs. Another interesting fact is that Butch Walker produced this song.


1. "Style" (1989)
This would be the song that tipped the scales and pushed me into the territory of being a Taylor Swift fan. Her songs like "Shake It Off" and "Bad Blood" had been burning up the charts, especially the latter, but the lyrics about "mad love" were kind of annoying. Her album is titled 1989, after the year in which she was born, yet this song actually evokes the "style" of the 1980's. I was actually at my day job not too long ago and while cleaning a car, I noticed 1989 in one of the door compartments. The CD was already in the customer's stereo, so I played "Style" for a few moments while we started the car to check the lights and make sure the clock had the correct time. That night after work I went to Target, bought the CD, and here we are now.

Comments

Popular Posts