Essential Danger Danger Songs

 I've only been a fan for a year but I became a fan in the best way- seeing them live. While they may not have the vast catalogs of other successful rock bands, that doesn't mean Danger Danger doesn't rock.

10. "Still Kickin'" (Cockroach)
By the time Cockroach was set to be released, it was 1993 and the genre of hair metal/glam rock was passe. Danger Danger seemed like they were ready to adapt to the changing landscape of rock and this song kicked off Cockroach with style; it has more of an edge to it than anything on their previous albums. It reminds me of Skid Row's Subhuman Race.


9. "Boys Will Be Boys" (Danger Danger)
Pretty typical rock anthem for the 80's that's summed up with it's title. I kinda like the closing section, with a solo then slowing it down before resuming the solo.

8. "I Still Think About You" (Screw It)
Probably the best song that Bon Jovi and Desmond Child never wrote.


7. "Don't Pull the Plug" (Cockroach)
Much like "Still Kickin'", this song finds Danger Danger trying something different and I think they succeeded. The song instantly hooked me with it's intro that reminded me of ZZ Top. Following the intro, it turned into a bad ass Southern-fried rocker and is one of the stand-out tracks from their third album, Cockroach.

6. "Slipped Her The Big One" (Screw It!)
1980's rock songs were all about innuendo and this is another fine example.

5. "Bang Bang" (Danger Danger)
I think I wrote off Danger Danger as being too damn cheesy when I saw their hits were also repeated words, "Naughty Naughty" and "Bang Bang." While "Naughty Naughty" is still too cheesy in a bad way, I've really come around on "Bang Bang", especially it's lyrics; "Bang Bang, what's that sound? I gave you my love and you shot me down." 

 
4. "Monkey Business" (Screw It!)
When I first discovered Danger Danger had a song called "Monkey Business", all I could think of was the Skid Row song. A year later, all I can hear in my head is Danger Danger's "Monkey Business" when I think of the title. "Ain't no business like monkey business, climb on up my tree."

3. "Under The Gun" (Danger Danger)
My friend Brent said this song sounds like it would be in a montage in a 1980's action movie. That's a pretty accurate description.

2. "Find Your Way Back Home" (Screw It!)
Screw It! could possibly be one of the most under-appreciated albums I've ever listened to. While the first album is catchy, this one takes it to the next level with bigger choruses, stronger ballads, even a rap song! The opening to "Find Your Way Back Home" has a Beatles-esque intro, before moving into acoustic guitars, and what sounds like strings (but is probably just keyboards.) The layering of guitars and vocals is pretty stellar production work.


1. "Don't Blame It On Love" (Screw It!)
I almost wish I had given Danger Danger a chance when I first heard of them a few years ago. A drinking buddy named Walter talked them up as a great band, yet I didn't listen. I figured if I hadn't heard of them amongst the other bands of that era, then they probably weren't worth their salt. Well I think they happened to hit at the wrong time, at the tail end of the big hair metal movement. This song is every bit as good as the biggest rock songs of the era in my mind- I'd put it up there with any hit from Def Leppard and it definitely smokes anything from Poison.

Comments

Popular Posts