Essential Songs of The Great Affairs

My introduction to this band was in March of last year when two members performed an acoustic show here in Peoria. A year later, I've seen them perform 5 more times, and even traveled 3 hours across the state for the most recent gig. I enjoy them so much that I'm sure I've bugged nearly everyone I know about their music, even going so far as to push their music onto other rock bands. Well, it seemed like a good opportunity since they're cruising along in the backseat of a vehicle at 40 mph, so what other option do they have but to listen to The Great Affairs?

*Usually I post Youtube videos to go along with songs; I guess this'll suffice this week. Find many of their songs at the link below.*

10. "Shame On You" (4)
 Shame on everyone who doesn't listen to me when I say this band is awesome. Even though they open up for many bands in bars across the Midwestern states, they should be playing to massive crowds, and this song is a prime example of what makes them great (not just in name.) Their production is slick and polished; the organ is a great touch. 


9. "Dyin' To" (4)
My first favorite song of The Great Affairs, though it was short-lived. After a great solo that ramped up the song with a frenetic pace, the piano and drums come in at a just the right moment for a beautiful breather in the song before they return for a second guitar solo. Whew.

8. "Left Of Me" (Dream In Stereo)
First track from their latest album, Dream In Stereo, and I instantly liked it for the harmonic and bluesy feel with what I think is slide guitar- more of that slick production. The lyrics are also pretty solid- "I got a handful of grains in my hour glass, I got a gold watch and it's ticking fast. I ain't the man that I used to be, but if that all sounds good, you can have what's left of me."

7. "Fists & Guitars" (4)
This song is so good, I re-christened my music and movies blog after it. Kenny turns in a great vocal performance as he always does for the harder rock songs of The Great Affairs, but I think Denny didn't want to be outdone, so he stole the song away from him with a fantastic harmonic solo. It also sums of the dichotomy of the band- Kenny provides the hard rock tunes, Denny brings out the more melodic and even softer side.

6. "Good Flyin" (Ricky Took The Wheels)
Awesome bassline. Although I half-expected this to be a Kenny song, had I not known he was in the band at the time. It fits great alongside songs like "Left Of Me" from their recent album, Dream In Stereo.

5. "Stay All Night" (Dream In Stereo)
Another new track from Dream In Stereo. A line in the song is "everything feels so right", and everything in this song feels right, too. Great vocals, especially the backing vocals, piano, and solo from Patrick that I keep picturing him making the most bad ass face ever.

4. "Calfornia" (Dream In Stereo)
That guitar riff is so damn catchy!

3. "Last Good Memory" (Ricky Took The Wheels)
I feel like this song (almost) perfectly sums up my feelings regarding a female in my life. And that's exactly what music should do- create a personal connection for the listener.

2. "The Highway" (Dream In Stereo)
It's at the end of the album and I admit I actually overlooked it for quite awhile. My method of listening to a CD has always been to play it from the start and listen until a song grabs me, then I play it repeatedly for a while until I move on to the next song. So obviously it took a while to reach the end since it's number 12 of 13.

1. "Elise" (Dream In Stereo)
Probably the expected number 1 song and I didn't want to disappoint, even if they disappoint me by not performing it live. Musically it reminds me a lot of "Dyin' To", with it's change in key as the song progresses. I'm not a musical scholar, so I don't know what's that's technically called, but I like it.

Comments

Popular Posts